Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden 3.8lt Turbo or S/C??

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 VF SS-V M6 / '99 KN Laser
Hey guys,
I was just wondering wat is the trend with Holden 3.8lts. What is more bang for buck and which is more popular, Turbo or S/C? :w00t:
I lyk the turbo more, but thats just cause of the awesome sound from the blow-off :yeah:

Cheerz

D

darktele

I dunno what is most popular tho i would say the Superchargers is.. I have not seen a VY turbo as of yet. but if anyone sees or owns a turbo vy i would be interested in the specs and cost of full set up as i'm looking to do somthink turbo to my 3.8ltr vy :p Ecotec engine.

AlX

Reaction score
Website
www.aryadesigns.com
Members Ride
VY 2004 Calais II
Tur80

darktele said:
I dunno what is most popular tho i would say the Superchargers is.. I have not seen a VY turbo as of yet. but if anyone sees or owns a turbo vy i would be interested in the specs and cost of full set up as i'm looking to do somthink turbo to my 3.8ltr vy :p Ecotec engine.

I think Holden engines or even american build engines get more power out or S/C. :unsure: like mercedes which is Compressor=Supercharged.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i know that C.A.P.A has just released something for the alloytechs because they have just slapped one into a vz sv6 in the workshop at berri :D saw the drift ute there too hehe :p

gen3_350_v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss vy 5.7l M6
id have to say if a gen3 go twin turbo if you have the $$$$ more kw/$ with turbos on high boost and intercooled, even a v6 with benifit from a bi turbo setup, but if your low on cash go the supercharged way, my 2 cents

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 VF SS-V M6 / '99 KN Laser
OK guys, i have another question....what is more bang for buck, or which one is most sensible to go with??

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
id say S/C, dont know why but i do, just have the feelign they would be less hassle after reading around and seeign what happens when peopel try to twin turbo and need to replace all sorts of stuff

familyguy

Bog Standard
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
You'd have to figure the supercharging option is easier, knowing that Holden already fit them to the Ecotech in certain vehicles. I could be talking out my a#se, but isnt the VT andonwards S-model a supercharged Ecotech? (Any internal work done on these or is it just a bolt on and reconfig ECU?)

The turbo is probably a dicier option, but FIT and CAPA both do a turbo I believe.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Frandy said:
I lyk the turbo more, but thats just cause of the awesome sound from the blow-off
common misconception #459 - a supercharger uses a blow off valve too, depending on the type of blower system installed :king: