Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunking Noise when turning the wheel

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Hi everyone,

As suggested by the title, my car will continously make a clunking sound when i turn the steering wheel. The car doesnt have to move for it to make the sound.

Any suggestions on what it may be? My old VN had issues with the sway bars but it doesn't quite sound like this (then again, i could be wrong)

Thanks in advance

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
By continously do you mean it will keep clunking as your keep turning? And will it do it when your car is off. If it clunks once in each or one direction when your shake it, its most likely the ball joints.

Its really easy to check them, get someone to jump in the car, watch the joints as they shake the steering, it you see movement(maybe holden has a spec for the amount of movement) it needs changing. If you change it yourself you will probably need an alignment, im not sure of the setup they use so i dont know.

Who knows maybe the nut is loose.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
When I turn the car either left or right whilst im driving, I get a continous clunk sound.

I may have even heard a clunk whilst i was driving on a straight but bumpy road.

I've got my mechanic coming to inspect the car hopefully next week but im hoping to resolve this issue earlier if i can. Thanks for your input so far.

Shanghai

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
So what was the verdict?
I've heard a similar thing twice in the last week myself on my VY Acclaim, 140,000kms.

AUSFITTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS series 2
Top strut bushes might be dead mate. Same thing happened to my old VY Equip a few years back. Replaced them and it was good as gold. My wife's VY wagon had the same thing for the last few months (lazy i know) and i changed both struts and strut bushes, and it is gone, not to mention alot tighter feel when driving. It might be worth looking into

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Most likely swaybar link bushes or strut top bushes.