Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

reversing sensors

D

Dr Seuss

Hi, Im keen to install reversing sensors in my bumper(VY), is there a wiring loom in or near the rear bumper?, has anyone else ever installed them and whats involved? any info would be greatly appreciated !.
Also while I have your attention , I have been playing with the service menu in the car (mode and set button held down while ign turned on), and am curious about the fuel reading, Is this the fuel left in the taken as measured by the comp or is it read through the user setting and unsetting the appropriate menu when they fill.

thanks

Phil

M

MORT

I expect the fuel level remaning indicator(Is this what you mean) reads whatever is in the tank regardless of what you do to the dash buttons.
There is a self learn function if the fuel you use via the dashboard doesnt match with the pump says you have used.Info is in the book it you have one.
Can supply if you want.
Re the parking sensors... My adventurer bought secondhand,,,sensors not working,,, the dealed said these were not fitted when asked, further investigation proved to me the tow bar wiring was faulty. Fixed it myself in 1 hour. Humph..The cost of a kit is around $350 from memory.Genuine parts.Come colour coded to suit
Cheers
mort

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Dr Seuss said:
Hi, Im keen to install reversing sensors in my bumper(VY), is there a wiring loom in or near the rear bumper?, has anyone else ever installed them and whats involved? any info would be greatly appreciated !.
Also while I have your attention , I have been playing with the service menu in the car (mode and set button held down while ign turned on), and am curious about the fuel reading, Is this the fuel left in the taken as measured by the comp or is it read through the user setting and unsetting the appropriate menu when they fill.

thanks

Phil
I installed some parking sensors myself. With advice from this forum..

Easy as ****.. Just drill in the sensors.. Run the wires to the main unit. From the main unit, connect the red wire to the reversing light and connect the d-BIt to the earth.. Then run it to the front of your car..

Easy as pie, even for me.. They only activate when you're in reverse..

D

Dr Seuss

revrsing sensors

Oh I forgot to ask, can they be interfaced to the car system , or do you need to retrofit a display or beeper

thanks phil

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dr Seuss said:
Oh I forgot to ask, can they be interfaced to the car system , or do you need to retrofit a display or beeper

thanks phil

You'd need to fit the display or beeper.. That means running the wire from the roof of the car..

My particular one clips onto the rearview mirror and is a rear view mirror.. Like an additional one... The LCD display only lights up when I'm in reverse and tells me the distance on my left and right.. It also beeps accordingly..

The Holden one only beeps..

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
Thinking he could add a beeping reverse light bulb too, bout $14.

Throw away when the light dies.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
AlX said:
Any body know how much does it cost to install rear sensors??(professionally by dealers or a mechanic) :unsure: tanx

I was quoted $250.. Or $50 just for the wiring.. That's by an ordinary Auto Elec.. God knows what Holden would charge..

The whole job took me less then half an hour.. It's actually that easy..

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
$10 reverse sensor kit and 1 hour for full install

I bought a pair of reverse sensors for $10 at the local 2 dollar shop, thinking if they don't work I will just return them and ask for my money back. I installed them without any need for drilling holes and they work a treat!!! :thumbsup:

I will post some photos but I basically removed the panel that holds the licence plate, and threaded the wires through pre-existing holes, down the boot hinge (following the existing loom), and placed the module behind the boot wall carpet. I placed the beeper under the rear parcel shelf, using one of the existing holes so that the sound comes into the cabin.

I am surprised how accurate they are, beeping quicker until about 6 inches away from something, at which point the beep is constant. I have had them installed now for 12 months with no problems.

I will post some photos in a day or two.

Last edited:

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Photos of $10 reverse sensors - aftermarket

For those not too worried about aftermarket, here are the sensors that I bought and installed in my car. The sensors can be screwed into place although they came with 2-way tape that stuck nicely.

One photo shows the sensors either side of the licence plate, then the wiring following the boot wiring, and finally the beeper scientifically held under the parcel shelf using tape..........don't knock it, it works!

-And I forgot to mention the wiring is dead simple, just tap into the rear reverse light wire and the earth.

Attachments

• rev sensors.JPG
    rev sensors.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 910
  • IMGP3019.JPG
    IMGP3019.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 948
  • IMGP3020.JPG
    IMGP3020.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 1,710
Last edited: