Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

150,000km too much on a gen 3?

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII 5.7 Calais, VS SS SII HSV Enhanced
Ok guy well after selling my old VY calais and been shifting from cars to cars, ive finally decided i want a calais back.

So ive found one for 23K with the following mods: SCAT 383 stroker bottom end, CNC port and polished heads flowed to 300 cmf bigger valver and duel valve springs, 60lbs injectors, leneti 237 242 duration (BIG) cam, 2500rpm stall converter, full stanless steel duel 3inch exhaust hi flow cats and extractors, mafless tune and a over the radiator indcution

Now these mods arent so old but just wondering what you guys think of it? The car does have 150,000kms but still im thinking when the bottom end got done that surely everything got a freshen up and should be alright?

Whats everyones thoughts? Dont be too negative just an honest opinion would be appreciated..

Cheers,
Frank

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
$23,000 is alot for a VY Calais. That's nearly VE Calais territory.

correct 100% but to buy the VE you'd be looking at around 23 to 25 plus then it would only be a bare stock VE...

Was speaking to the owner and he said that everything has been replaced when he rebuilt the engine about 4 months ago, ie new pistons, crank bearings heads & the rest.

Still not sure considering i paid 17500 for my old VY when all it had was the G8 rims & lowered.. so confused!!

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Kilometres aside I would be looking at the condition of the car, Is it A grade, ex, nothing broken, everything serviced and maintained and nothing needs replacing... B grade good general condition, bit of interior wear, the odd replaceable item of trim worn, broken or missing and a few bumps and scratches or C grade, really could do with a few thousand spent on it.

Reciepts and or photos of work on the motor?

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
no reciepts that ive asked to see yet, Hes a mechanic by trade so i gather there would be no reciepts for labour. But would imagine there would be reciepts for all items purchased. Ive got a couple photos of the engine that show the different fuel rails & otr but apart from that i cant see much else..

Yeah i havent gone to see the car just yet to look at it condition wise, It does need a Re-tune as hes only just run it in as far as i know..

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
150000ks Thats stuff all i would be happy about them ks. V8's go forever if you maintain and dont thrash them..

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
yes the block would have been bored/honed,it would be basically a new engine, go for it.
would be thousands of dollars worth of engine work here(which most people have no idea what it cost),don't worry what people say if you want it go for it.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Regardless of the k's or the mods carried out on the car, 23k is far too expensive for a VY. The last VY's are over seven years old now and the market value for a clean VY 2 Calais is probably only around 13 to 15k.

Either look elsewhere, or get that price reduced big time. Modifications to engines don't justify inflated asking prices.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
Thats way too dear for a vy s1. I could of got a ve ss 6 speed for 14k last week..

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
mate bought a vy calais with engine work for 19k... people seem to be confusing ss with a calais