Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres - OE or other

Plainwhitevy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon Series 2
My VY Acclaim needs some new tyres. Still has 2 fairly new Bridgestone RE92 on it and I will put some more of the same size with them - 205/65/15.

What are the best ones to get?

I have been told that the RE92's can be pretty average, and that there are better options for about the same price via Khomos and others. I am not after dirt cheap, but am not after nail-biting cornering either - just lots of reasonably quiet legal tread for as many K's as possible.

Does anyone have any experience to offer here.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
If in doubt?

I heard somewhere that the standard VY suspension was designed around a "control" tyre, the OEM fit.

I have used Yokohamas and Goodyears with success in the past, but am reluctant to try the unknown.

If in doubt, I would stick with the OEM, especially if the price is right.

Plainwhitevy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon Series 2
Thanks for that! What do you mean by a control type?

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Bridgestone RE92 are ok but are useless in the wet because of the thin tread design and I find road noise from them is loud on nomal roads

225/60/15 will fit on the factory alloys on the Acclaim's

Buttom line is the RE92 are cheap and nasty

Plainwhitevy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon Series 2
What brands etc are better options then do you think?

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Yokohamas and goodyear brands are good to buy but I would ask around the tyre places to find the best ones to suit

hsv_punk

I Just Want One
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Berlina V6
Yeah I'd definately steer away from RE92's, they are a crap tyre, I don't know why they are still fitted to commodores. A Bridgestone Grid II or if you wanted a little better Grid III would be much better.

Also if they are 205's standard, i'd go up to 215's with the new tyres, as its spot on with standard rims. 225's are borderline too big for standard rims and some dealers won't fit them. It all comes down to safety and you can't put a price on the safety of your loved ones.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
i got these tyres called, elite btc, and i found they were really grippy, even in the wet they just wanted to grab, they were only $89 each cheap but they worked for me

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
GIII's are definately a good tyre, but for something a little cheaper but still very good (and better than the RE92) go for a Kumho 769. Won the wheels tyre test a few years back and is an excellent all round tyre.

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
And for one not to get, STAY AWAY FROM DUNLOP MONZA D8'S!!!! Chewed a set out in my VT in 40000kms from new. A set of even crappy old RE92's lasted me 80000kms of smooth long range driving!