Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap alternative to Potenzas

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
I replaced the last two original Potenzas on my S VII (at 46000km--worn to the wear indicators and beyond) yesterday and I must say I have been fairly happy with them.
The previous pair of Potenzas were replaced about 15-20000km or so ago after chewing out the sidewalls on one of them. Was quoted about $300 a piece for a replacement Potenza (which is a bit rich for my budget) but it was the idea of driving around on the poxy space saver during 4 day wait (over the weekend--no-one had them in stock) to get one shipped to Toowoomba that p-ssed me off. In the end I put on a pait of Federal SS595 (235/45/17). www.federaltyres.com.au/car/ss595.htm
I've had the Federals on the front since then and completed the set yesterday. They look pretty good and I have had no problems whatsoever with their performance or wear (I don't push things too hard though--a bit of hard cornering but no Bathurst aspirations), the beauty is that they were only $150 each. I have no complaints with them at all, so I think they are worth a look for anyone on a budget who doesn't push the performance limit too much.

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
:embarrass Just spotted Plainwhitevy's thread. Sorry for starting a new thread on the same topic! Timing is everything!

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
SPack said:
:embarrass Just spotted Plainwhitevy's thread. Sorry for starting a new thread on the same topic! Timing is everything!
Don't worry about it being a new thread, because he is dealing with 15in tyres and you're into 17in. With regards to this size of Tyre, try Nankang. I had a set of their 18in tyres on my Clubsport and they were an equal to the Bridgestones in grip but lasted 20000km's longer as well as being half the price!! Tyrepower are a usual haunt for this brand. If they don't have em, they'll get em!!

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
HSVKEV260R8 said:
With regards to this size of Tyre, try Nankang. I had a set of their 18in tyres on my Clubsport and they were an equal to the Bridgestones in grip but lasted 20000km's longer as well as being half the price!!

I agree...back when I had the VS in 97 I was looking to replace the 17"s with new tyres, tyre place was selling Hankook Nankangs cheap, I never heard of them and being cheap I thought they were going to be real nasty and last 10,000k's. But to my surprise it's the best tyre I have ever had, Put them on the ute when I got it and they were 18"s, I can't speak highly enough of them. :thumbsup:

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
SPack said:
I replaced the last two original Potenzas on my S VII (at 46000km--worn to the wear indicators and beyond) yesterday and I must say I have been fairly happy with them.
The previous pair of Potenzas were replaced about 15-20000km or so ago after chewing out the sidewalls on one of them. Was quoted about $300 a piece for a replacement Potenza (which is a bit rich for my budget) but it was the idea of driving around on the poxy space saver during 4 day wait (over the weekend--no-one had them in stock) to get one shipped to Toowoomba that p-ssed me off. In the end I put on a pait of Federal SS595 (235/45/17). www.federaltyres.com.au/car/ss595.htm
I've had the Federals on the front since then and completed the set yesterday. They look pretty good and I have had no problems whatsoever with their performance or wear (I don't push things too hard though--a bit of hard cornering but no Bathurst aspirations), the beauty is that they were only $150 each. I have no complaints with them at all, so I think they are worth a look for anyone on a budget who doesn't push the performance limit too much.
smoke some firestone plus you can get 100,000k

jaskel

Hoon Squad, Member No 1
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Calais 5.7L LS1
i used to use the GT radials...they wer great tyres...

C

ckr83

Im Putting On A Set Of Bridgestone Wide Oval,
225/55 R16's For My Ute.
Starting Price $224 Each. Got Them Down To $180 Each With Balance, Fitment And Rotated After 5000km's.
Keep You Posted How They Last And Perform.

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
ckr83 said:
Im Putting On A Set Of Bridgestone Wide Oval,
225/55 R16's For My Ute.
Starting Price $224 Each. Got Them Down To $180 Each With Balance, Fitment And Rotated After 5000km's.
Keep You Posted How They Last And Perform.
OUCH!!! My last set of 18in tyres only cost me $175 ea!! they were Falken ZE326. So far they are proving as good as the Nankangs I spoke of earlier in this thread. Keep shopping, cos I always say, Bridgestone are not the tyre they lead you to believe!!