Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power window wont close all the way! crunching/slipping gears!!!

georgeyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
hi guys,

i drive a 2004 vy commodore S. My driver door window is playing up!!

It will go up and down but stops about 2cm from the top, so will not close all the way. When it reaches that
point I hear a gear crunching sound coming from the door. Could possibly be slipping the teeth in the gears.
The power does not cut out until I let go of the switch. its not allowing the relay switch to kick in.

I have pulled door trim off and it looks a bit tricky to get my hands in there. Cut the plastic at the openings
to have a look inside, cant really see anything worth noting.

ive had a mate tell me (without seeing the car) that possibly the last few teeth on gear arm that lifts the
window could be broken off.

if i manually pull the window up for that last 2cm, it then closes fully and stays up.

any advice???

cheers

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Your mate is most likely correct, so the answer is replace the winder motor or gear, whichever is more practical.
Personally I would replace the mechanism and motor.
Have a scroll through the ebay link. There are a couple there for $60 to $70 complete.

vy power window | eBay

If you don't know what you are doing, go to an auto electrician but be prepared to pay.

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
It could be the reason , replacing the motor is not very hard ,the only hard bit is the removing the bolts .. I did mine myself

georgeyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
i managed to find a tight angle to look through and see the lever arm between the motor and sciscors.

There are two worn teeth on the gears of the lever arm (the two before the last one) so for now im lucky the last one is stil in tact

to hold the wondow up in the closed position.

Has anyone changed this mechanism? if so could you please shed some light on how to do so??

I had never realised the value of being able to use drivers window until i lost it :) drive thru's are a nightmare!!!

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Up on the right of the page is Google Custom Search, all you need to do is type how to replace power window vy and you will get the answer you are looking for.

Here is a link
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...-front-power-window-regulators-into-vy.176094

The only thing I would recommend is get 4-20mm x 6mm hex bolts with nylock nuts to replace the riverts.
I usually chop the heads off the existing riverts with hammer and a sharp carpenters wood chisel although you can drill them out if you wish, and of course you will need to drill the holes in the door and the mechanism out to 6mm to take the new bolts.

Last edited:

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
OR

With door trim off locate/ figure out which bolts hold the window to the winder mechanism and undo them. You will most likely have to have the window down most of the way.
Once loose you should be able to lift the window out of the door throught the top by tilting the window to around 45 degrees then lifting it out.
Unbolt the motr from the door. It is possibly a tight group of 4 bolts but don't quote me on it. Unplug the conection and Bob's your uncle.
I dont know if yours is a gear or cable system but going by the sound it seems to be gears. seeing as the window goes up and down well till it reaches that point you may only need the arm and not the moter itself. I haven't done a VY elec window but there Kind of generic.

OR
If you feel like a trip come up to Cessnock and I can do it for you. Much cheaper than the aut eleco.
Get a quote though. I'd be interested to see what they'd charge???

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
i managed to find a tight angle to look through and see the lever arm between the motor and sciscors.

There are two worn teeth on the gears of the lever arm (the two before the last one) so for now im lucky the last one is stil in tact

to hold the wondow up in the closed position.

Has anyone changed this mechanism? if so could you please shed some light on how to do so??

I had never realised the value of being able to use drivers window until i lost it :) drive thru's are a nightmare!!!

If you did take a drive I could weld the worn teeth for you and clean it up like new. Save you the cost of a new arm too.