Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replace broken electric antenna? [PICS]

BenMitchell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
Hi guys,

So my antenna was making weird loud ticking noises when the electric antenna would go up or down. This was because it was bent. I followed advice I received on here and tried to straighten the antenna, remove old gunk and apply WD40 but to no avail. Now it seems properly screwed also.

photobr.jpg

I found a replacement antenna piece on ebay. I also found an entire antenna replacement including the motor. Which of the following will I need and how difficult would it be to replace? I'm not very knowledgeable with cars so I assume I'll have to get this done by somebody else.

Antenna piece: AUTO ANTENNA MAST HOLDEN COMMODORE VY-II VZ | eBay
Full replacement: COMMODORE ELECTRIC ARIAL ANTENNA VT VX VY VZ SS HSV CV8 MONARO CALAIS NEW | eBay

Thanks guys!

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
Pretty sure ya gotta pull the guard off to get to it.Not a real easy job.
Although in saying that I did read that you can get to part of it through the gap when you open the passenger side front door. I had a look and you might be able to do something in there but itll be a tight squeeze.

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
pull off the inner guard and the passengers side kick panel and you'll have access to the cords and plugs, just disconnect the plugs connect them to the new one and put the new antenna in,
the last one i replaced was in a ford and their was a clip that u could disconnected the aerial line further down so u didn't needa pull the hole cord thru

might be cheaper to go to the wrecker and get a second hand one

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
You need to jack up the car and remove the front wheel. Inside the wheel arch is a plastic guard that needs to be removed - a few screws. You can then access the underneath of the front guard and remove the aerial. It is (once you are at this point) quite easy to remove and refit.

Replacing the mast is the cheapest option - but some might see it as a fiddly job, it's one of those things that's actually pretty easy once you've done it a few times.

It would be easier to replace the whole antenna - but not nearly as cost effective.

This has been dicussed many times and there are more detailed instructions available - for example
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...2004/28962-replace-antenna-advice-please.html

cheers

BenMitchell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
I could ask the wrecker, yeah. Do you think he'd be able to install it for me too? (assuming he has one). Sounds above my head.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Might as well pay the extra for a new one. Its pretty common for them to stuff up so going second hand you may find it only lasts a month or two.

You should give putting it in yourself a try. It really isn't as difficult as it sounds. Just take your time and you'll be right :)

Sent from my DesireS using Tapatalk 2

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
yeah get it new... not an overly exciting or fun job to do so you dont really want to do it twice
i think they are about $150 brand new from holden when i did mine

Bazil2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX wagon
pull off the inner guard and the passengers side kick panel and you'll have access to the cords and plugs, just disconnect the plugs

My aerial always stayed up and the motor would run for a while on radio on /off. Not sure if the previous owner said it was just a manual aerial.

Anyway the issue now is that the motor runs permanently, and I had to pull the radio fuse to get it to stop.

I don't give a rats about the aerial - it is only for am, so if I could just disconnect the motor....

Is the plug accessible from inside the kick panel - so i don't have to remove the wheel and inner guard?

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
Mines busted to and is permanently up. I hate radio and the only reason I'd fix mine is to clean up the car a little.

Expensive part for sure. Probably because it's a **** part that has got to be the most common fault on commodores haha

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
if the motor good you can just buy the mast & rope on ebay for cheap , its around 20-30 bucks , its easy to fit, his a thread, Installation of vt holden commodore aerial rope and mast - Fixya , save money repace it your self .

Last edited: