Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED Dash Lights

furrhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 3.8
Dashboard lights

Has anybody changed the dash green lights to another colour? Any idea who does this sort of thing in Sydney?
Thanks a lot

B

bdcmedia

I havent done it yet, but it is my next project. I have seen how to remove the dash cluster and I believe they are LED's so it should not be too hard to do this!!

Brett

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Indeed they are LEDs, but not the "normal" ones you might get from Dick Smith or Jaycar or whatever.

(I took the trouble of stripping down the dash and having a squiz)

They're "surface mount" types, and pretty damned hard to get! (at decent pricing, anyway) There are 13 in the instrument cluster, I think 15 in the stereo, plus the ones behind the heater controls and headlight switch. (haven't counted those ones yet) If you have surface mount soldering skills it shouldn't be too difficult, but you DEFINITELY couldn't use the normal "through-hole" type devices, without extensive - and potentially destructive - modifications.

You also need to be certain that the types of LEDs you use are relatively high brightness, as blue LEDs take a little more voltage than the green ones and will pull a bit less current. (I'm assuming you're referring to blue here - that's the thoughts I've had)

I've found a source for the LEDs at half decent pricing, but I have to buy a full reel of 1,500 of them!! Otherwise the best I've found is around $4 each. :eek:hmy: (I reckon there would be about 36 LEDs in total, so it adds up!)

Hey Furrhead - I'm in Sydney, and I'm thinking about the reel of LEDs. If I can get enough people interested I could order them through work and pay for them over a couple of months. I'm also able to do the work for those who don't feel confident working with surface mount components. Anyone who is interested can get in touch with me.

V

VZSV6

i have been interested in this for ages but i need some1 that knows how to solder, does any1 know some1

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey VZSV6.

(yeah, I have one too - love it!)

That's what I'm saying - I'm a qualified electronics tech, I have reasonably good soldering skills. (I'm being modest here!) ;)

I'm trying to source blue LEDs at a reasonable price - that is, the RIGHT kind of LEDs. (anyone can get blue LEDs from Jaycar - but good luck trying to make them fit!!) These are surface mount types, and won't be found in the usual places.

The LEDs I found are EXACTLY the right type - except for the colour, nobody would be able to pick them from the original factory items. The great thing about LEDs is that they virtually never burn out, but the down side is that in the VY-VZ instrument panels they're soldered to the circuit board, not the "wedge" type globes that have been used since the Flintstone's days.

As I said in my last post - if there are enough people interested I will buy a reel of LEDs. That's fifteen hundred of the suckers! I'm also prepared to do the work for people in the local area (Sydney) for a small fee. (I've spent the last 20 odd years of my life in the electronics industry, and whilst I like to help people out it's nice to help myself a bit too)

Guys, let me know. I have a vCard with my contact details, or you can PM me. I have a good relationship with my employer (an electronic design company) and can get some help from them to initially buy the devices. I'm capable of doing the work if required, or even to supply the LEDs to those who want to tackle the job themselves. I have found the LEDs in smaller quantitites, but the bastards charge a fortune for them! (like about $4 each x 36 or so)

Anyways, here I am. I'm serious, how many others are??

Cheerz!!

sting ls2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Clubsport ls2 A4
not to keen on the ford blue,but red would be cool look on the instrument cluster.

V

VZSV6

Phreddy said:
Hey VZSV6.

(yeah, I have one too - love it!)

That's what I'm saying - I'm a qualified electronics tech, I have reasonably good soldering skills. (I'm being modest here!) ;)

I'm trying to source blue LEDs at a reasonable price - that is, the RIGHT kind of LEDs. (anyone can get blue LEDs from Jaycar - but good luck trying to make them fit!!) These are surface mount types, and won't be found in the usual places.

The LEDs I found are EXACTLY the right type - except for the colour, nobody would be able to pick them from the original factory items. The great thing about LEDs is that they virtually never burn out, but the down side is that in the VY-VZ instrument panels they're soldered to the circuit board, not the "wedge" type globes that have been used since the Flintstone's days.

As I said in my last post - if there are enough people interested I will buy a reel of LEDs. That's fifteen hundred of the suckers! I'm also prepared to do the work for people in the local area (Sydney) for a small fee. (I've spent the last 20 odd years of my life in the electronics industry, and whilst I like to help people out it's nice to help myself a bit too)

Guys, let me know. I have a vCard with my contact details, or you can PM me. I have a good relationship with my employer (an electronic design company) and can get some help from them to initially buy the devices. I'm capable of doing the work if required, or even to supply the LEDs to those who want to tackle the job themselves. I have found the LEDs in smaller quantitites, but the bastards charge a fortune for them! (like about $4 each x 36 or so)

Anyways, here I am. I'm serious, how many others are??

Cheerz!!
how much is a small fee, and when can u do it, which area are u in by the way.pm me with all the details please.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Here's an update folks.

I've managed to find a supplier who will do 50 LEDs for me, but still at a pretty outlandish price. ($1.76 each!) That makes a total of $88 for the 50 pieces.

In any case, I'm gonna go for it so I can change them over in my car and check it out. I have an enquiry in progress with another supplier who can do a minimum quantity of 500 pieces, which would be enough for about 13 full conversions. It would sure work out cheaper for me than having to buy a full reel of 1500 pieces, and as long as the price is significantly lower than what I'm paying for the 50 of them I'll go ahead and order.

(it'd be nice if a few more were interested though!)

So, VZSV6 and Furrhead - I think I'm looking at about $1.10 or so each for the LEDs, I'm still waiting on confirmation of that and delivery lead time. Once I have an idea of that I'll be in touch again.

Oh, BrettSV6 - I could do a red changeover for you if you like. The red LEDs are easier to get, although might still be a little spendy in small quantities. I'd think something around 75-80c each. (bloody crazy really - a conventional "through hole" mount red LED can be had for about 20c!!)

Cheerz all, watch this space! :D

Utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II Monaro CV8 Redhot
I am also very keen, unfortunately I am in Perth... :(