Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MP3 through standard sound system

Plainwhitevy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon Series 2
I would like to listen to an mp3 player in my acclaim through the sound system.
Have tried one of the FM senders and found it pretty average.
I have heard that there are kits that you can buy/make to plug mp3 through the mobile phone wiring in the car, using the GM connector.

Has anyone used these and if so how good are they, where can I get one - or the recipe for making one?
Thanks in anticipation!

Raggyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Excecutive S2
I was wanting to do the same thing with my VX. Ended up just putting in a JVC DVD MP3 player and computer in the car instead. Not sure with the VY, but over here in the UK on www.hsv.org.uk there is a current topic about trying to crack it the problem with a couple of Monaro's, which have the same unit I believe. Might be worth checking it out.

At the moment the site is down, but should be up in the next couple of hours.

You can get to it temporarily from http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?f=69&h=0

greenbeam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Apparently the phone input is mono in the VY-VZ Blaupunkt system.

This issue is also being discussed on the US Pontiac GTO forum (LS1-gto I think). They seem to be homing in on two possible solutions - a simple one where you tap a couple of wires into the CD input and play a blank disc, and a more elegant solution which will involve reprogramming a chip and running a separate input out of the back of the head unit.

No doubt someone will post to this forum if/when a solution is available.

Big thumbs down for Holden not making something like standard in the age of the iPod!
Cheers,
Paul.

greenbeam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
I now have MP3 input through my standard VY Blaupunkt 6-stacker (will also work with the single CD unit)!!!!

It took me about an hour last night to make the change and I now have a 3.5mm headphone plug in the centre console bin right by the cigarette lighter socket so I can power my mp3 player. And I have a completely invisible installation too.

You do need to remove the stereo head unit, take the bottom cover off (two screws) and solder three wires onto the circuit board (steady hands). But it was really a simple mod, and I probably spent half of the hour messing about with trim removal/replacement and routing the audio lead into the console.

If you are interested, there is a set of comprehensive instructions and photos at: www.thelug.com/radio/gtoradio.html

Thanks to our friends on the LS1GTO forum for working out this mod.

Darren - this link should probably be sticky for both VY and VZ - plenty of people want AUX IN to the Blaupunkt unit.

Cheers,
Paul.

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
Here's an alternative that is far less technical... It plugs into your power socket and contains a flash disk full of MP3's. You tune your radio to frequency you specify, and presto.

http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod2715.htm

kmbattle

Reaction score
greenbeam said:
I now have MP3 input through my standard VY Blaupunkt 6-stacker (will also work with the single CD unit)!!!!

It took me about an hour last night to make the change and I now have a 3.5mm headphone plug in the centre console bin right by the cigarette lighter socket so I can power my mp3 player. And I have a completely invisible installation too.

You do need to remove the stereo head unit, take the bottom cover off (two screws) and solder three wires onto the circuit board (steady hands). But it was really a simple mod, and I probably spent half of the hour messing about with trim removal/replacement and routing the audio lead into the console.

If you are interested, there is a set of comprehensive instructions and photos at: www.thelug.com/radio/gtoradio.html

Thanks to our friends on the LS1GTO forum for working out this mod.

Darren - this link should probably be sticky for both VY and VZ - plenty of people want AUX IN to the Blaupunkt unit.

Cheers,
Paul.

Thanks heaps for postin that.
Just wondering if you could give us a few tips on soldering circuit boards as Ive never done it before and I dont wanna **** this up.
Do you have any pics of the socket in your centre console?
How good is the sound quality?

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Top Quality sound through the car stereo

I have just had my factory VY stereo modified by Phreddy and I have to say it is the only way to go if you want to run an IPod/MP3 player.

FM transmitters have a very narrow frequency range, which means you will not hear the quality sound that a CD/MP3 provides. Also, the mod shown by "the lug" is a simple but shorcut solution.

Phreddy has provided an input at the pre-amp signal stage, meaning it is a full and clean signal at the right point. A 3.5mm input plug and an activation button has been installed in the spare space on the Traction Control button panel, which looks very neat but can be replaced at minimal cost if I ever wanted to.

Phreddy also provided low-level outputs from the original stereo so I could connect a power amp (800watt), using the clean pre-amp signal. The result is a crystal clean sound with no buzz or noise from the amp (which I was getting by using the hi-low convertors previously).

I would recommend Phreddy for either or both of these mods. He has designed his own printed circuit boards which are installed within the ample space in the stereo case. Phreddy also installed a plug just above the original plug (on the rear of the casing), so that the stereo can be removed without wires hanging out of it (something the lug has not thought of also). :yeah:

E

element465

Phreddy?

Who is this phreddy you speak of and how much would it cost?

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
It is not hard to find Phreddy. Just have a gander at VZ threads regarding bue dash lights and stereo mods and you will find him as well of lots of very positive posts about him.

Best to talk to Phreddy about costs as it depends on what you want done.

Cheers. :)