Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacement flywheel for VY V6??

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Does anyone with a manual V6 have the same problem as me every time they start the engine - a loud crack that makes people outside the car wonder what you just broke? :ranting:

I have been told by Holden on many occassions that it is due to a 2-piece flywheel, tensioned with heavy duty springs (similar to a clutch pressure plate?). From what I understand the springs load up with the starter motor and when the engines kicks, the springs unload, making the noise.

Does anyone know how many models this applies to, and if anyone has replaced the flywheel using an aftermarket job without the springs?

Any feedback including others with the same problem would make me feel more at ease.....

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
The dual mass flywheel is the cause of this, it makes the belt tensioner chirp at startup, you can replace the flywheel if you like but more than likely the engine balance will be crook... loose one thing gain another

Rob

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
The belt chirp at start up is due to the fly wheel and is caused by the belt slipping on the alternator pulley.

As I understand it the flywheel causes the engine to "kick back" and unloads the tension on the belt.

There is a fix for the belt chirp at start up, and that is to fit a new pulley to the alternator which has a one way clutch. My dealer has fitted it to my VY under warranty. No more chirps at start up.

BUt I do have another issue and that is the one I posted about in "Issues with VY's' under a heading of belt tensioner rattles.

"I have a 2003 VY S manual. Ever since I have owned it there has been a rattle/knocking noise from the engine when letting the clutch out at low RPM. It is most pronounced when reversing or starting off on a uphill incline, or accelerating away from an intersection at low speed in 2nd or 3rd gear.

The noise is caused by the accessory/water pump drive belt tensioner which flaps like crazy when the engine is under load at low RPM. Apparently this is a known problem. The dealer has replaced the tensioner with no improvement."

"Trac Off

Thanks fo your reply. I presume your reply was to me about the belt tensioner rattle.

I have experienced the steering shudder/noise and they have fitted the new style hose assembly to cure that. This noise is different to the power steering noise. It almost sounds like an exhaust pipe rattle/knock.

The noise is definately coming from the belt tensioner. I have observed it flapping and heard the rattling noise at the same time, by getting someone to load the engine, by starting to let out the clutch with the car in gear with the park brake on, while I was watching the tensioner with the bonnet up. There is no doubt where the noise is coming from.

The dealer agrees with me about the belt tensioner being the source of the noise. They tell me that part of the problem is that a different flywheel is fitted to the manual and there is a resonant vibration problem due to the flywheel. They seem to have run out of ideas, they have fitted a new pulley to the alternator with a one way clutch, and a new tensioner, the noise still exists.

It would be really nice to find a cure. I'm sure that the way the tensioner flaps away that it is not any good for the tensioner, the belt or the accesories driven by the belt due to the jerkiness/vibration caused.

Any ideas."

Are you having this problem as well?

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I cannot say that I have noticed the rattle at low rpm under load. Once started, the engine runs without any undue noise or rattles, other than some slight valve gear noise - almost but not quite a noisy tappet. Been there since new.

I am interested in the warranty repair for the start up noise - I have been told on several occassions that there is nothing that can be done to stop the noise.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Not had this problem.

I have a VY S2 V6 Manual, and have not experienced this problem.

Also have a VS S2 V6 Manual, which rattled with the clutch in when about due for a change.

Otherwise have been perfectly satisfied with the dual mass flywheel.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Marks VY

If your noise at start up is the drive belt chirping then this can be fixed under warranty by fitting a different pulley on the alternator, your dealer should know about this fix, if not, get them to get in touch with the factory.

I am curious as to why you don't get the belt tensioner rattle. Whats different about our two cars. I have been told that it is a known issue with the manual.

I would be interested to know what you would see/hear if you watched the tensioner with the bonnet up while some one lets the clutch out enough to take up some load with the car in 1st gear with the park brake on, in other words simulating starting off on an uphill incline.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
87VLCALAIS said:
Marks VY
I would be interested to know what you would see/hear if you watched the tensioner with the bonnet up while some one lets the clutch out enough to take up some load with the car in 1st gear with the park brake on, in other words simulating starting off on an uphill incline.

I will try it in the driveway and ask my wife to have a look/listen. It has never been an issue for me, might be the way each person starts off- number of revs, how quick the clutch is let out etc.

My car is about to reach 3 years (yes, better make a trip to the dealer this month..) but only 30,000km's. Not sure if that makes a difference but I have never been one to give the clutch a hard time.

I will send another post soon and also let you know what the dealer says about the start up. Note- I would describe the noise as more of a crack than a chirping belt. It makes me cringe sometimes but I was assured it is normal and cannot be rectified!?!?! :b:

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
YES- My belt tensioner is doin the dance!!!

Update!

I got my wife to let the clutch out slowly (no accelerator) whilst I watched and yes, the tensioner pully starts to get the shakes and then the noise. Have to say that this does not normally happen because the engine is almost at stall point before it happens. When it does, it makes all sorts of rattles and noises.

The other thing I noticed is when starting the engine, the crack is actually the belt tensioner whipping back and the belt almost jumping off! I am hoping the alternator pully fix will rectify this..

Thanks guys for letting me know :wave: Warranty is up at the end of this month.

Oh well, another trip to Holden. :b:

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
What is the part number of the pulley??

87VLCALAIS said:
Marks VY

If your noise at start up is the drive belt chirping then this can be fixed under warranty by fitting a different pulley on the alternator, your dealer should know about this fix, if not, get them to get in touch with the factory.

Could you find out the part number for the pulley? I spoke to Suttons Chullora and they are not aware of any warranty fix, although the Manager admitted that he heard of a proposed fix some 24 months ago.
He said he would be happy to fix it if he had a part number.

Given the time constraints I will send a PM although other may want to know the same info so it would be worth posting it here.

Thanks,
Mark.