Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1 head bolts torque specs..

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
G'day all.. replacing the heads and head gasket on my ls1 and i can't find anything stating what settings the bolts have to be. Only to do 3 passes. 1 at 30nm then the 2nd at 90 degrees and the third at 90 degrees... what does that mean?.
Start at 30nm then 60nm then 90nm?
Even my workshop manual doesn't say what the final pass number is.. neither does anything online

Thanks

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
G'day all.. replacing the heads and head gasket on my ls1 and i can't find anything stating what settings the bolts have to be. Only to do 3 passes. 1 at 30nm then the 2nd at 90 degrees and the third at 90 degrees... what does that mean?.
Start at 30nm then 60nm then 90nm?
Even my workshop manual doesn't say what the final pass number is.. neither does anything online

Thanks

What bolts are you using? You can't re-use the factory bolts. I'd be putting on ARP Head studs while the heads are off, they are expensive but makes the whole job a lot easier.

From memory the small ones along the top were a single pass of 22ftlb, the bigger ones the ARP instructions were 3 equal steps in sequence to 80ftlbs, so 25ftlb, 50ftlb, 80ftlb or something to that effect. The above figures taking into account using ARP head studs AND the ARP lube on the nuts. Bolts will probably be different.

They need to be done up in this sequence

torquebolts.jpg

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
Thanks for that. I know the order the bolts have to be done. I'm not using the originals. I bought new ones.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Copied these from my workshop manual, may help understand what they are on about. I think I recall reading some where that the lengh of the factory head bolts changed somewhere in production from VT to VZ, may pay to check the new bolts match the length of the old bolts you have removed.

Last edited:

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
I've got one of those Max Ellery repair manuals here's what it says might help.

Bolts under rocker cover are M11
Bolts Not under rocker cover are M8
Cylinder Head Bolt Torque:
Step 1 : All bolts M11 and M8: 30Nm
Step 2 : M11 bolts a further 90 degree turn
Step 3 : M11 bolts 1-8 a further 90 degree turn
Step 4 : M11 bolts 9&10 a further 50 degree turn

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
Thats ehat it says in my workshop manual too... but What does the 90 degree turn mean and what setting do I put the torque wrench to on the second and third pass?? 1st pass 30. 2nd pass 50. 3rd pass 80??

Last edited:

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
It stays set to 30Nm or 22 lb ft just use some kind or paint or similar to mark the bolts so you know how much to turn.