Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting issue help!

samlicastro94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Clubsport R8
Okay so the problem started a few days ago I was driving home accelerating quite hard and heard a large metallic *bang* and metal shrapnel go all over the road. I had pulled over and turned the car off about 300m later checked under the car, saw nothing. As I went to start the car back up all it would do was tick once and not turn over. I have since replaced the starter motor and while doing so had noticed a hole in the bellhousing where the starter motor was aswell as the end of the starter motor where the bearing sits after the teeth was completely shattered. I have gone to turn the car over since and it rapidly clicks with the car not starting and lights dimming on the dash etc? Is it a faulty starter? I don't think it's battery related as I have dual batteries and hadn't had a problem before hand. This has me stumped.. Unless it's the flywheel which I doubt as the blow out on the bellhousing is only right where the end of the starter is. Car is a VY clubsport manual.
Thanks

samlicastro94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Clubsport R8
But would that stop the car from turning over? Can hear ticking still

car_driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Kind of sounds like the starter gear has engaged while the engine was running. Either the ring gear on the flywheel or the starter motor gear is damaged. Best pull it out and inspect. The metal had to come from somewhere.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I would remove the starter and get someone to turn the engine over by hand while you inspect the ring gear on the flywheel.
Rapid clicking could be the starter throwing in but jamming on what is left of the ring gear.
You may have sheered the flywheel bolts.
Put the car in gear and push it, if you hear noises, it's time for gearbox out.