Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats the difference between a series 1 and series 2 exhaust for a VY

Woodsman444

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais sedan 2008
I have a series 2 VY and want to fit a redback exhaust system from the cat back I am told they are different but not how they are different,does anyone here know how and can they be adapted to fit?

Thanks for any reply.

HarryVY

2004 Series II VY Equipe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Series II VY sedan
edals:2843952 said:
Series 2 has 2 cat converters. Series 1 has 1. You can't adapt it and require a series 2 exhaust system.

I believe the length and flange are different between the exhausts.

Check out user http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/member.php?u=28347

He will help you out.

I'll second that. I just fitted the cat-back single muffler system to mine a few days ago and its awesome!! Highly recommend it :)

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
The twin cat back change does not coincide with the introduction of the Series 2. It came in a bit later to comply with a changed emissions requirement. You need to look at your exhaust and see if it has the one cat under the floor pan or one each side of the engine just back from the exhaust manifolds and get the correct aftermarket exhaust. Don;t just go off it being a series 1 or 2.
I've got a late 2003 Series 2 and it has one cat so the change was I think made early 2004.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
The VY I cats are located low close to the ground and the VY II cars are closer to the manifold flange.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
The VY I cats are located low close to the ground and the VY II cars are closer to the manifold flange.

Like I said my VY II has a single cat under the floor pan. the twin cat setup was introduced after the Series 2 so some series 2 will have the single cat.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Like I said my VY II has a single cat under the floor pan. the twin cat setup was introduced after the Series 2 so some series 2 will have the single cat.

Ah sorry, you're talking about a V6, I was crapping on about a V8, they are of course different b

Donny94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore
I have a 03 vy with twin cats, & my old one was 03 aswell, my old one had a single cat setup & i put a straight pipe with hotdog on it, then when i sold it i kept the straight pipe hoping to put it on the vy i have now but it wouldn't fit for some reason,, so my question is if i was to get a stock single cat y pipe out of a vx vy, would it bolt straight in? & would my straight pipe then bolt in without any problems?