Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock speaker replacement...

brentmc

Custom: Better than stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYS S1
Hello. I'm just wondering if anyone would know if replacing the stock door speakers would reduce distortion at higher volumes. I usually run the stock head unit at around 35 or so but a song i hadn't heard in ages come on the other day and i turned it up to about 41 and it sounded terrible!! (Even sometimes certain tunes at the 35 mark distort...)

I went and arranged to have the stock speakers swapped for JVC 3-ways today hoping this would be the most cost effective way to deal with it but thought also that the head unit might have something to do with it. At present I'm happy with the stock double din and want to keep the original look of the car so I guess if the speaker swap minimises the distortion then great, but if it bores down to the stock head unit then it will have to be something to worry about later when I've got the money to throw at it...

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
hey the new speakers will help with high volume listening, i upgraded my stock speakers to pioneer splits in the front and three ways in back (original wiring- no amp) and with my pioneer head unit could push about 10 more volume clicks out of them b4 they started flapping...so yeah great improvement...and i wouldnt put 3 ways in the front splits r heaps clearer IMO.

cheers

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
You may need an amp

Hi Brentmc,
Distortion could be caused through the amp or the speakers (or both). Replacing the crappy 15watt speakers will no doubt help but if you want serious sound without distortion, you will need to upgrade the amplifier. I can recommend Phreddy to modify your head unit to provide low level outputs, ready to plug straight into an amp. The original outputs remain as is.

In my case I installed an 800watt amp, currently bridged and powering 6x9" rear shelf 3 ways although I plan to also replace the front speakers to give me a 4x200watt amplifier. Any more than that and you must be looking at sound-off competitions...........

PS. If you are looking at adding an amp, do not use in-line low level converters (Strathfield Radio sold them to me) as they create a huge buzz through the speakers. With the mod it sounds crystal clear. :yeah:

brentmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYS S1
Yeah theres no amp. Its all stock. All I'm doing is swapping the stock door speakers over to JVC 3 ways as cheap as I can. I can get some installed for like $170. Thats just the front. I'll do the back later.

I was considering splits to even out the soundstage but then thought splits were a lil overpriced for what you get really. I don't really want to go overboard. I want to have a nice clear sound with decent bass response but not have to swap too many stock parts in the process. I figure I'll start with the speakers first and go from there. Its just when I arranged it today the bloke reminded me that the stock headunit may be the cause of the problem. I DO have another head unit and amp and subs that I kept from my old VS but I didn't really want to go single DIN. They look out of place in my opinion...

But thank you all for the information.

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
I often think about these posts where members upgrade their sound systems and I commend you all for your attention to detail and ingenuity. I have no issue as far as audiophiles wanting to squeeze out the absolute best out of their vehicle's sound system, but I have to wonder why we are forced to upgrade our system just to get what the average person would call a 'reasonable' response out of it.

:ranting: What the hell was Holden thinking when they put these bloody sub- standard systems in? Ok... the Blaupunkt head performs ok, but it pushes into poorly rated speakers so what's the point? The system is only as good as it's worst component. It's crap that the speakers turn to jelly at 35 on the dial! What about the rest of the range... You wouldn't sell a high speed car car with low speed tyres would you!

Just as bad that the standard head unit is not interchangeable with off the shelf equipment without doing a serious mod to your console... :mad: and then there's the lack of aux input or low level output....

To me, the bottom line is that Holden have taken a half-arsed approach to the design of the vehicle's sound system, not bloody good enough! The speakers should sound good through the head unit's whole usable range, right from the day it rolls off the factory floor.

my two cents....... (ok, I'm having a cranky day....)

brentmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYS S1
I have to agree. It seems to me that Holden have specifically designed the audio section of the VY to make the installation of 3rd party head units difficult without some severe modifications. The fact the consoles are all different colours now makes it difficult too as most aftermarket head units are black. Sure, you can buy a black console, but then thats extra cost for something you shouldnt really have to swap to keep things looking neat.

And I agree with what you said about the stock speakers. Obviously they aren't going to run 100W speakers but then like you said, to have a half decent head unit running 15W speakers is just stupid. I believe my VS had 15W speakers too. Good to see they upgrade their headunits but not their speakers.

I find the bass response is quite clear at anything below say 35, but as soon as you start going over that you have troubles with certain tunes

They can argue that the average joe doesnt drive around with music loud and a lot of people would probably agree with that, but it just seems to me that the audio department is something they are overlooking. Especially when you get companies like Mazda fitting Bose speakers and audio systems into their cars these days.

I think Holden need to improve on that. They only need to look at one of the number one things that Holden owners change in their cars.....headunits and/or speakers. Why is that do they think?

Wow, I've just rambled on.....thats all. :yeah:

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
brentmc said:
...It seems to me that Holden have specifically designed the audio section of the VY to make the installation of 3rd party head units difficult without some severe modifications...
Yes yes yes... So true. I upgraded my headunit the other day to a Kenwood DDX7047. Whilst the unit fits, the surrounds are butt ugly! I will have to get a custom job done to the dash to conceal the 3mm gap on the top and sides, and the 15mm gap on the bottom!!! How much is that going to cost I wonder? :mad:

brentmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYS S1
vy_acclaim said:
...I will have to get a custom job done to the dash to conceal the 3mm gap on the top and sides, and the 15mm gap on the bottom!!!...
You know I wouldn't be surprised if just to be pains Holden designed the console a few mm larger than the standard size aftermarket single and double DIN headunits available just so that anyone who finally does get to fit an aftermarket unit then has the trouble of getting it to sit flush with the console! :ranting:

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Keep the head unit

You may have misunderstood my earlier post but Phreddy can modify your stock head unit to give you aux outs (4 channel) for you to run to an external amp. The job is professional and keeps the console looking standard. You therefore maintain the steering wheel controls and dash display which would be lost with 95% of aftermarket stereos.

The head unit gives a clear sound but does not have the power and therefore could be the source of your distortion.

You just add whatever amp you want and whatever speakers.

brentmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYS S1
Nah I got that and read up on the mod you mentioned but I just didn't want to muck around pulling my car apart like that. I spose the alternative would be to get Phreddy to do the work but the trouble with that is I don't live in or anywhere near Sydney.

When I changed the headunit and speakers in my old VS I found that as soon as I mucked around with the console and doors that there were annoying "plastic-y" creaks whenever I drove it again. Thats kinda why I'm paying someone else to do the speaker swap this time around, that way if its noisey when I get it back THEY are the ones that have to do something about it!

But again, thanks for the suggestion!