Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vibration

B

bar475

I recently bought a VY S commodore and i have noticed 2 vibrations through the car. The first happens every time i accelerate and the second when the car reaches 50km/h and it only happens around 50km/h. it also seems worse when its cold. I've taken it back to holden TWICE now and they have told me it was a tyre problem, so to prove them wrong i switched my wheels with stock rims and tyres and the problem was still there just as i thought it would be. it's driving me crazy. :b: Any idea's?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Manual or auto?

I have a manual which has a vibration caused by the accesory drive belt tensioner rattling when you move off from a standing start, (worse when up hill or in reverse), and when accelerating from a low speed.

With the car at a standstill lift the bonnet and take a look at the tensioner while someone lets the clutch out slowly with the park brake on.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
The super 6 wasn't available in a manual, dam shame really.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
It could be the transmission, torque converter or drive shaft balance. Try putting it in neutral when the vibration hits and see if it makes a difference. That could than rule out the torque converter and transmission.

B

bar475

the cars an auto, as ShanghaiVZ said its a shame the v6 super was only auto, but still happy with an auto anyway.

Mark, i tried putting the car in neutral when the vibration hits and its still there. thanks for the idea. I guess it rules out trans and engine. I did suspect its drive shaft but i not convinced yet, as it disappears at speeds higher then 50km.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Sounds like you are on the right track. Note that a balancing issue may strike at one particular speed, and going beyond that speed may settle it down again. If you have changed wheels and it is still there, and engine revs do not affect it, there are not too many more things for it to be:
Draft shafts,
universal joints (could be vibrating if loose or worn),
rotors (have you had them machined?)

Can't think of anything else unless it is linked to the output shaft of the transmission...

B

bar475

Well after 3 days at holden and 3rd visit the problem has been fixed. :D it ended up being the tail shaft. holden replaced with a new one under warranty, glad i wasn't paying for it :) they were a little slow to fix it but happy its solved. thanks for the replies