Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Parcel shelf speakers??

smyth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hey Guys,

My VY Exec doesn't have parcel shelf speakers standard, however I am wondering if the wiring for these is likely to be in place as I believe the higher spec models have these speakers standard.

Also, does this mean the head unit has 6 channels or are the rear channels split?

brentmc

Custom: Better than stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYS S1
The Calais make use of the parcel shelf and offer a 6 speaker setup. (4 door speakers + 2 parcel speakers). Because the headunit is only low output its feeding about 12 and a half watts per channel so while I'm not entirely sure, I don't think the parcel speakers would be split with the rear door speakers as this would distort the system over such a low output. I'm pretty sure the head unit has outputs for 6 speakers (3 of the same stereo channels that is...ie - front, back, boot).

But having said that, unfortunatly the wiring isn't already there on the "lesser" models...

smyth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hmmm, ok so no wiring. Not such a big problem. Can anyone else confirm or disprove this 6 channel theory. It sounds like a long shot to me but I must wonder how the 6 speaker setup is wired if it doesn't have 6 channels.

If there are in fact 6 channels in the Calais, does the Exec have the same headunit or is it different?

f_vos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
There is no wiring in the parcel shelf area have just punched out the spot welded dummy plates and removed the sound deading material.
Also brought a pair of VT/VX speaker grilles for my VY ser2 for $47 @
Autobarn so im getting closer to buying some 6X9s and installing myself.
Not sure how much to spend or the brand/wattage either.

Regards
Fred

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
There are only 4 channels on the Blaupunkt stereo (RR,RF,LF,LR). I got that from the top of the actual headunit. As for the speaker arrangements - the parcel shelf speakers are spliced with the rear door speakers as standard. You will need either a power amp, or too disregard the rear door speakers if you want full power on the parcel speakers...

smyth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hmmm, thats a pretty dodgy way to hook them up. Nice one Holden

brentmc

Custom: Better than stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYS S1
Hm, thats why I originally said that over such a low output it would be silly to splice them like that. Wow, so if you have parcel speakers fitted by holden then really your worse off as the rear of your car is sharing about 25w among 4 speakers...

...and people still defend this stock setup...?

Timothy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy equipe S11
Parcel shelf speakers

Fred,I've done what you're doing,i've put JBL gto936e 300 watt 6x9's in the parcel shelf and replaced the origional front door speakers with pioneer tsc1625's 220 watts.I'm piggy backing the 6x9's off the rear door speaker wires with my own wiring set up (spade double adaptor male and female terminals that splits one wire into two) that can easilly be disconected if you want to take the 6x9's out later if you sell your car.Of course,make sure connections are taped so they don't touch each other.I've been running this set up with the origional 6 stacker head unit with no amps at 3/4 volume with no problems.
Tim

Last edited:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Yes, vzlumina has it. It refers to "six speakers,", that's one in each door, plus the two tweeters in the corners of the dash. The upmarket "premium" system has additional "subwoofers" (if you can refer to 6" cones as subwoofers) driven by an external amp mounted in the boot. (it's about 40w or something)

And for anyone who's serious, the stock Blau can be made to perform a whole lot better - RCA outputs and amps brings them to life. That's not defending the stock setup though, not at all - it's not powerful enough, and the factory speakers are absolute rubbish. As they still are in the VEs..... As for being able to keep the stock appearance and functionality and still get quality sound though, it can be done.

Demos welcome! :D