Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How low?

brentmc

Custom: Better than stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYS S1
I'm interested in hearing from others who have taken the step to lower their VYs. Previously I had a VS which had super super low "show springs" which had a bit clipped off them. Somehow the car never bottomed out but it was an absolute sh!t to drive. It only ran on 16s but it was woeful. Also, somehow I was never bothered by the cops for having illigal suspension and it always passed inspection.

Anyway, this time round I'm interested in going as low as I legally can. At the moment it's running the stock FE2 with VZ SS 18s, but lately when I've looked at the car it looks like its.....i dunno....jacked up....and I thought it wouldn't hurt to drop it a bit.

I've had a quick look and I see I can drop it between 30 and 60mm. I went out and measured this roughly on my wheel arches and 60mm looked a little too close to the tyres for comfort so I was just interested to hear from people who have actually lowered theirs. How low? What brands? Ride comfort? Is it legal still? Cheers!

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Pedders for the win ;)

As for the rest i dunno, havent done it (yet ;))

matt_brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss ute
i have pedders on mine its running 16 and i cant fit my hand between the wheel arch and the tyres the fronts are in the wheel arc looks good just gotta watch those drive ways they are bit dangerous at times:whistling

vy1sv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv ute
ive got 17's, with lovell superlows springs but the stock shocks, the car sits 110mm. I put a strut brace in it, and some polyurethane bushing the metal ones and it rides beautifully. Id recommend this to anyone, it handles rly well too with a bit of front camber adjustment, front right -5 and front left -3!!!
Legal limits 100mm!

Last edited:

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
i have pedder super lows in with 19s.
The ride is virtually the same as standard fe2 but the gurads just sit to the top of the tyre the exhaust scrapes over speed humps but thats only cause its an aftermarket exhaust.
The ride is goodfor me and it looks great lowered that much.

AlX

Reaction score
Website
www.aryadesigns.com
Members Ride
VY 2004 Calais II
Any pics ma8....

vy1sv8 said:
ive got 17's, with lovell superlows springs but the stock shocks, the car sits 110mm. I put a strut brace in it, and some polyurethane bushing the metal ones and it rides beautifully. Id recommend this to anyone, it handles rly well too with a bit of front camber adjustment, front right -5 and front left -3!!!
Legal limits 100mm!

I need to see ur car pics so i can get the idea...:) oh is ur ride smooth (less bump noise (eg.Driving on a bridge) is it smooth ride...?? did u change ur shoks as well!!??

AlX

Reaction score
Website
www.aryadesigns.com
Members Ride
VY 2004 Calais II
pics tanx

Jeffro74 said:
i have pedder super lows in with 19s.
The ride is virtually the same as standard fe2 but the gurads just sit to the top of the tyre the exhaust scrapes over speed humps but thats only cause its an aftermarket exhaust.
The ride is goodfor me and it looks great lowered that much.

I need to see ur car pics so i can get the idea...:) oh is ur ride smooth (less bump noise (eg.Driving on a bridge) is it smooth ride...?? ...?? did u change ur shoks as well!!??

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
i put air shocks in the rear and never changed the front.

My pics are in the post your vy pics thread.

brentmc

Custom: Better than stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYS S1
Ok, well I arranged to get mine lowered today. They told me they'd put super lows in and not have to swap the shocks over. He said obviously new shocks would improve the ride but its not entirely essential.

One thing that worries me however is that I told them I have FE2 and he said that FE2 are 20mm lower than standard ride height, but then he turned around and said the super lows hes getting me will drop the car 30mm....BUT is this 30mm shorter than the standard springs or 30mm shorter than FE2 springs??? If its shorter than standard then I'm worried that it will only drop my car 10mm because as he said FE2 is already 20mm lower. Does anyone know? I don't really want to pay $600 and only end up dropping the car an un-noticible 10mm.....what a waste!

CNULTR

SLEEP3r
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary II
Jeffro74 said:
i put air shocks in the rear and never changed the front.

My pics are in the post your vy pics thread.

How much did the whole installation cost springs,shocks etc? Nice ride