Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Satellite Navigation

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
Has anyone done anything with Sat Nav?
Particularly in VY Berlina or something like it.
Can anyone suggest type or brand etc?
Looking for anything that may help becase I know very little about them at this stage.
Thanks for any help.
vykeith.

davfull

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy v6 acclaim
try vdo dayton, i think this is what holden uses when they fit them. you'll be up for a bit of cash though, around 3 grand. cheaper option is to go portable like the navman.

barbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro CV8
hey mate in my VY II calais i got the sat nav, it was a holden by design option and i believe there hefty charge was approx 3500. and yes its vdo dayton

but its a very tidy install, the screen is in a neat postion (under the radio in that hole). its a very good system, sometimes a little bit out in eg. screen says 20 - 30 metres to turn when its about 5 - 10. also sometimes in the much hotter weather ive found that the cd ejects itself and shuts down (i guess the boot is a very hot place to be in the middle of summer)

i find it werid jumping in another car with out it, im just using jumping in and looking at the map and finding a quicker route. but seriously if your going to use it, its worth it, if holdens usuall pricing scheme is too steep, shop aroud, you'll never know your luck

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
Sat Nav

Thanks mate.
I tend to think what you say about the cash is right.
I may just buy a new UBD - only joking - if thats about the price of the VDO I will be looking at the portable version. I'll take a trip to JB Hi Fi.
vykeith.

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
Sat Nav

Thanks to you to barbs.
Your comments sound encouraging. I'll keep looking.
vykeith.

barbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro CV8
no worries, i used run deliveries for my old man and his business, saves a lot of time and effort pulling over and checking the ubd (not to mention petrol for gettin lost in whoop whoop), and plus being 18, buying a v8 calais isnt a braggin enough i can always boast about the sat nav :)

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
I use the Navman portable unit in my vehicle and it works a charm. I plug it into the power socket where the lighter normally goes and the cradle suctioned to the windscreen just under the rear vision mirror. I like it because it still has voice commands but is also portable as I use it on my road bike as well. The updates are fairly cheap as I have just purchased the latest mapping for $187.00 from Navman and the unit is fairly accurate to within 5mtrs. Has a little trouble around tall buildings but mostly not a prob. Highly recommended accessory. You can even take it walking with you and it will guide you as you walk!! Much more useable than a built in unit. :hit:

Last edited:

barbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro CV8
$187 is good, i was told $355 or something for mine so ill be living with 2003 maps for a while, 355 for frigen cd wish i could "download it"

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
SatNav

You can pick up a HBD unit from CAPA if your dealer gives you any grief... check it out here. Scroll down 4/5 of the page - the facias are there also.

Alternatively, you could buy a quality headunit, which has a satellite naviagation feature in it... Would replace your stereo.

If neither of those idea's float your boat, then a portable handsfree or a $20 street directory should do the trick :thumbsup:

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Navman iCN635

I have a Navman iCN635, which I move between cars whenever I need it.

Don't use it all the time, but if going somewhere new it makes for a relaxed trip. Regularly choses a different route to the one I would, but it has always been right.

Good for checking speedo accuracy.

Gave it a good test when I first got it. Took into the middle of Glenmore Park, and said get me to Penrith CBD. Did it with ease, but had to talk the whole way out.

Those who know Glenmore Park will know what I am talking about.