Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance chip

giannetto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black vy 'S'
Hey guys, this is a really noob question.

But what exaclty does a chip do and where can you get them for the vy (if possible)

thanks

vy_pete05

Please rate my feedback
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY Exec SII
A little info based on a standard VY Commodore with the installation of PowerchipGold 98 from PowerChip Australia (the most renowned in Australia):

Have you got the standard VY commodore or like an SS or something?? In the standard VY your car produces 171kW at the flywheel but when you have a PowerchipGold 98 installed it will increase the engine power to around 186kW, so a substantial gain...Your torque ratingts will also increase from 375Nm to around 401Nm...
It delivers faster, smoother acceleration and with the power/torque increase it obviously results in faster acceleration and this goes for standing start acceleration as well as through the gears...It really gets the most out of your cars potential, those bits that are hidden and un-noticed...You will notice a great difference in all aspects of driving (I have one fitted myself)...Its very recommended that you use a higher grade of fuel (all the time -- but especially with PowerChip)...You obviously know how expensive it is to modify cars these days, but the PowerChip would be the most cost effective option...Break it down like this: COST= $690, kW Gain= 15kW, Price/kW= $46...To be entirely honest, i dont know how to explain exactly how it does what it does but I can tell you what you achieve, I have fitted one in my VY and im stoked, faster in every aspect and slightly better fuel economy also, pretty happy with that :-D

I hope this helps at least a little matey

giannetto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black vy 'S'
worth getting?

V

vyyoot

I am pretty sur there are no chips for VY's yet as they run a different ECU to a VT etc. I have been looking but have had no luck. Also a stock VY V6 is 152kw not 171kw as vt_pete05 suggests.

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
vy yoot the guy from top said he has one in his so they must make them :/

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
I have heard about these also... I think they are available for the VY. I think they work by tricking the ECU into thinking that the air-intake is retarded; which results in the air-intake being increased to compensate for the supposed reduction. More air plus fuel obviously equals more power... I thought that they cost a whole heap less than $690 though - more like $50.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HSV-VT-VX-VU-VY-VZ-HOLDEN-COMMODORE-PERFORMANCE-CHIP_W0QQitemZ4632642942QQcategoryZ50138QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Correct me if I am thinking about a completely different chip...

giannetto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black vy 'S'
Yeah i have heard to stay away from those ebay ones

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
a REAL chip doesnt do that vy_acclaim....a real chip is the brains of your pcm (powertrain control module) and controls all aspects of the engines running (fuel/air ratios, gear changes, overdrive lock-up..etc.) and thus with little tweaks (holden usually de-tunes their engines a far bit) you can unlock some of its real potential.

V

vyyoot

Jeffro74 said:
vy yoot the guy from top said he has one in his so they must make them :/

Don't believe everything you read. He also said a stock VY V6 is 171kw which it isn't.