Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blaupunkt Audio System Upgrade

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
:D Friday of the Easter weekend I picked up Phreddys Low level output conversion kit. I paid phreddy full price for his kit so I can honestly comment about it. Absolutely bloody fantastic. When I bought my VY2 new I immediately changed the front speakers to 6.5 3 way diconnected the rear door speakers and put 4 way 6x9's in the rear shelf, these changes made a great difference. However after fitting phreddys kit and adding an amplifier its up to most after market head units I've seen and heard. I've changed a lot of head units in various model commodores so I'm not new at this. Again it is bloody fantastic. With due care and following his detailed instructions, you should have no problems with its fit. Not forgetting, the steering wheel remotes still work, it would be most unlikely that the scumbags would be attracted to steel it, and the original unit looks heaps better than the bodgy replacements. If you have any doubts about this kit contact me through this post and I will help if possible. ***Completely unsolicited***
Keith.S

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
vykeith said:
...the steering wheel remotes still work...
You can get the steering controls to work for aftermarket systems aswell. An aftermarket modification converts the direct electrical signal from the steering wheel controls into an infrared signal; and is detected just as if it was an additional remote control. They cost a gem ($300), but are worth it in my opinion.

The Macross

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive V6
only paid $200 for my steering remote when i installed my pioneer mp3,cd,wmv unit.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
The Macross said:
only paid $200 for my steering remote when i installed my pioneer mp3,cd,wmv unit.

Hmmm...

Does that utilise the factory steering wheel buttons? How bout the display on the dash showing radio station, track no., volume etc? Does that still work??

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
I'm with you davey g-force.
Makes sense to me!
You go out and spend heaps on something thats got a great chance of being ripped off, doesn't match the rest of the dash pay extra for MP3 that has less quality sound and then pay $200 to $300 to restore the steering wheel remotes?
By the way - just added super tweeters - GREAT!
And none of it can be seen.
As I said previously, been there done that many times previously and was never completely satisfied as I am now!
Regards Keith.:whistling

ultimate_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive
im new to this fellas so what is the phreddy system exactly???

aperfectcircle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute 04 VYIISS 5.7 M6
Only works on the VY/VZ stock head unit.

Have a look in the audio section, it will help.

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
davey g-force said:
...Does that utilise the factory steering wheel buttons? How bout the display on the dash showing radio station, track no., volume etc? Does that still work??
Yes, and no. The information isn't displayed on the instrument facia anymore - but who needs it when you have a TV screen in the centre of your dash? The unit works by converting the electrical signal into infra-red light which is detected like a remote control.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
ultimate_vn said:
im new to this fellas so what is the phreddy system exactly???

Do a search for Phreddy, and send him a PM. I'm sure he'll be more than helpful...