Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Servicing VY Calais

Vanna

VY Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
Silver VY Calais
Hi all, I would like peoples advice as to what brands etc to buy for:

Oil, Air filter, Spark Plugs.

Not fussed about price, just want the best products for my pride and joy.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I run mobil one 10w-30, pricey(about $65 for 5 litres) but the best going around, air filter, you can use k & n, i just use holdens standard filter.
Spark plugs either ngk or bosch.
they're the ones i run, the oil is better purchased in a 20 litre drum as you need 7 litres per service, this will bring the cost done to $50 per 5 litres.
Hope this helps.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Royal Purple oil for the win, best stuff ive seen in testing, can be very pricey though (read: upwards of $100 for 5L)

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
You can buy from Repco now complete packages that contain Oil and Filter Spark plugs and Air filter also for one low price. These are ideal as they contain all the necessary items at one price. Even if you dont have to use the air filter at the time you can put this away to use at another interval service. I use the Repco branded products all the time on my customers cars and have never had any problems with quality at all. It all comes down to personal choice as to what you use. I do use however bosch spark plugs in all my cars and genuine leads.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
WTF?!?! 7 litres?? I thought it was more like 6-6.5L litres, bloody more than a dam V8 lol. Vtjw, the 10-30 how's the V6 go with it, being synthetic no hassles? not using any or much?.I have the same stuff ready for my 40k change, I snagged 10L for $95 :D

BottFodder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega II
All depends,

Is it a V8 or a 6 - Are you thrashing it or just tooling around the 'burbs? Have you modified the driveline?

I have been running Shell Helix Plus 10W-50 in both my old VS (> 280K) / newer VY and Pulsar SSS for 6+ years now. Its under $30/5L, its "Synthetic based" (means it part synthentic) and I've never had an issue. I just did the 45K service on the VY this arvo and the old oil looks (and smells) clean as a whistle. The 10W bit is really useful as I commute to Canberra every Monday morning.

Oils are a real talking point - If you are track racing or running in extreme conditions (towing a big boat / high speed in the NT ) I'd plonk for Mobil-1 or any other of the other full synthetics. If you are a 2000RPM suburban dad / highway cruiser (as I am) - then the extra value of the expensive oils is hard to justify.

One thing I would recommend is - if you select an oil then ALWAYS use that oil engines seem to get used to same product.

Filters - I use Ryco - never had an issue. Plugs - I'd agree - little difference between Bosch and NGK - I'd be happy to put either it. You can always put genuine in as well - they aren't that much more expensive.

Cheers

Bottfodder