Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY II Maintenance Qs

Puggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Man Sedan Cosmo
I'm at 125 000kms on a Dec03VYII SS Man6sp and am unsure about a few things:

At what mileage do you replace:
gearbox?
clutch?

Also how long does everyone wait before using a cut and polish on their car? I'm at 3 yrs and starting to wonder if a cut would make a difference? Currently it still looks good, but being Cosmo it's hard to really know when it's clean or dirty, shiny or lackluster....

Cheers

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
replace the clutch & gearbox when they fail or are worn out
cut & polish the paint what it needs it.

Rob

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
as said above ^^

you dont NEED to cut and polish the car, it's just something people do when they want it to look sexy, if you've got the day free to do it then go for it, every 3 years wont hurt it, some peopel do it every 6 months.

(my car is a year old and i havent done it, i do wash and wax it regularly tho)

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Whoa! That cut & polish bit worries me.

Your paint should not need it unless its been really really neglected, since it's only 2 1/2 years old. If anything just use a good quality polish (NOT cutting polish) such as Meguiars Gold Class. But you could probably just get away with a wax-polish or just a wax - I reccommend Meguiars NXT Tech Wax. :yeah:

Puggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Man Sedan Cosmo
davey g force - thanks for the advice, I'll go with yours! Here is another maintenance question:

In the Gen 3s what is the engine coolant composed of? I've got a low coolant level on the dash mfd, but don't want to loose my car for a whole day at some imcompetent Holden dealer just to fill the coolant.

Is it just water? Or water conditioned with something else? Or something you buy like oil? I'm gonna top it up myself...

I have found a thread in the how to section for a V6, but I need specific info regarding my baby Gen3 before I play with it. And I don't want to flush, just top up. I don't need 6L from holden, that's too much. Cheers

Last edited:

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Puggle said:
davey g force - thanks for the advice, I'll go with yours! Here is another maintenance question:

In the Gen 3s what is the engine coolant composed of? I've got a low coolant level on the dash mfd, but don't want to loose my car for a whole day at some imcompetent Holden dealer just to fill the coolant.

Is it just water? Or water conditioned with something else? Or something you buy like oil? I'm gonna top it up myself...

I have found a thread in the how to section for a V6, but I need specific info regarding my baby Gen3 before I play with it. And I don't want to flush, just top up. I don't need 6L from holden, that's too much. Cheers

Puggle, NO it's NOT just water, it has a coolant mixed in there as well. It's not the usual bright green stuff though - it's sorta orange/red. Have a look under your bonnet where you fill the radiator in the plastic see-thru tank and you'll see what I mean.

That's not to say that you can't use the normal green stuff though. First thing I would do is look in your owner's manual - it should tell you there. Then, it's just a matter of buying some at your local auto store, mixing it with water in the right proportions and topping it up.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
You can buy it premixed, at autobarn.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
I agree with Davey, the gearbox shouldn't have any problems through the life of the car, unless it's driven hard. The clutch will eventually go, but that should still be a long time off if it's not being ridden. Cut and polish is not good for clear coats (which is over all metallic paints, and maybe some standard paints). A regular polish or wax is the way to go, and the more expensive brands really do a better job - the layer of polish/wax will last longer and not have to be redone so often.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
If your coolant is low top it up with the correct grade coolant as specified in your owners manual,
take it to get it pressure tested & find out why it is low.

im not even going to comment on the "incompetent" thing, as its obvious you know better....

Rob