Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG, Should i buy a V8, Future of ss ute and petrol??

D

dirtydog*DOG*

Im contemplating buying a SS ute. I want to convert to gas, is the ss engine lpg compatable? Would there be a substantial power loss? Where does the gas tank go? does any one know the cost of converting just the engine. I just saw on the news today that the cost petrol may well rise to $3 a litre in the next three years. So i guess lpg will follow. This will make it unafordable to drive a four cyliner let alone a v8.

Guess my other concern is what is the future of the ss ute. I dont want to buy a ss ute now to have it looking like a vs ute in a couple of years. I saw a concept ute with a style side tray wich looked great. I get the impression there is going to be a complete remake soon.

Any info and help would appreciated to help me make a dicission.
Thanks. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
Yes there is power loss when you run on gas I wouldn't bother as it also runs the engine down as well plus to many problems as well.

muney

On Da West Side
Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ wagon
hey dirtydog..im in the EACT same predigament as you!!!..word for word exactly the same..i really do want an ss VY ute..but youre right about fuel prices and so on..i read that as well..but what i did saw today was a nice STORM ute..looks like an ss but with a v6..maybe a comprimise??

T

TimK

Guys, DON'T BOTHER putting gas on your new rides. The reason LPG is about half the price of petrol isn cause your car will drink it nearly twice as quick. The power is down on petrol and you'll have to run petrol anyway once every couple of tanks to keep the cylinders lubricated.

I converted my VK to gas years ago when leaded super was stopped and the unleaded super made my car almost impossible to start. Yes, the car started well on gas but the economy was terrible. A 50L tank would only last 200-250km.

Petrol will not hit $3 a litre as the consequences on the world economy would make finding a cheap servo the least of your worries

D

dirtydog*DOG*

But I have read with the right set up, with gas research there is very little power loss. And only 20% less economy. If it was no good all the cabbies woulden't use it.

51RVS

I the way I understood it, you can get decent performance out of LPG but you would have to run a dedicated system, it has a high octane level than petrol which lends itself to higher compression engines which can = higher HP. But you'll allways get worse fuel economy than petrol. It also burns cleans so you can get around the emissions tests, which is why you see a few high HP cars and engine tranplants running around on gas. Also take note that the government has currently has tax exemptions on gas because it burns clean which is why it's cheaper than petrol, but I heard or read somewhere recently that that exemption may be lifted…

Street Machine magazine ran an article a few months back going through the pros and cons of running gas.

I don’t think I'd do the change to an already running engine, but would seriously think about it if building a new engine.

Cheers.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
go and look up www.alpga.asn.au for more info.

LPG works best as a dedicated system, which right now only ford do.

holden will do a conversion, as 51RVS said it's possible to make gas work well by raising compression, etc.

the govt is looking at raising excise on LPG, but only from 2011, so that's still a long way off. it shouldn't matter to you right now.

the key thing when converting to gas is: MAKE SURE THE KIT HAS TYPE-APPROVAL. the rules have changed on this - the conversion kit must be approved for your model. if you get it done at the holden dealer you should be OK - but ask to be sure.

L

luch

dont convert to gas. it has no lubricating qualities leading to quicker valve wear and you go half the distance on gas than what you do on petrol, so what u save on gas, which is very little if any savings at all, you will end up spending it on maintenance in the long run