I want to fit the guages into my dash of my car but i dont like tha look of the aftermarket ones that have been made that ppl sell on ebay. Can i use tha genuine Holden HSV guages, holder AND HSV or Calais instrument cluster in my Series 1 vy commodore???
I am not an expert on the binnacle guages, but the dash cluster swap is straight forward.
The issues are as follows:
1) If your car is a VY Series 1, then you should source a Series 1 Berlina, Calais or HSV Cluster. A Statesman cluster might also work, but it is harder to determine whether a Statesman cluster is a Series 1 or 2.
2) If you put a Series 2 cluster into a Series 1, then the fuel guage will work in reverse. The trip computer distance to empty (DTE) will also work backwards, which is totally useless. This can be fixed by changing the fuel sender unit in the tank, but at a cost of about the same as a new cluster. Best get it right first time.
3) If the cluster you get has less than 100 km on the odometer, then Holden can set it to your car's odometer reading during Tech2 calibration. If it has more than 100 km, then instrument specialists can reset it, but at extra cost.
4) The new cluster will require re-calibrating by Holden Tech2, or equivalent software. This can set different wheel/tyre combinations, different airbag fits, set the tacho to V6 or V8 and some other parameters.
5) The cost of Tech2 calibration seems to vary widely, from nothing to approaching $100, so get a quote first.
Good luck with the mods.
Fekason has got it right in one for the cluster - spot on
As for the binnacle gauges, I bought the original HSV binnacle housing from Holden and the gauges were aftermarket. I am happy with the results and prefer the original to the aftermarket, although you may have to pay for it! I paid $176 for the HSV original and I had to paint it. There is a huge range of gauges you can buy to suit the instrument cluster and your budget. One thing I found is price does not reflect accuracy of the gauges.
Hey, can you guys & anyone else who have the bonnicles PLEASE take some pics and send to me or post on here, i am very interested in installin such items. Cheers.
If interested I have a brand new HSV binnacle pod - just pm me.
will an ss cluster fit straight into an executive ?
VY II SS Blue conversion
Extractors, 100cpi ballistic cats, Sureflo 3.5" medium exhaust, DUS OTR, Oztrack Tune, Phreddy dash, stereo, black windows, Lovell springs, and a good alarm