Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Manual Reverse Lock Out

Johnny_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute
Just wanting to know if this is a common problem with others or a one off.

I have a VYII SS Manual. On occassion, especially in cold and wet conditions, I am able to select reverse while on the move. Once I stop and go again, it will lock out reverse. This has happened a few times and my warranty is almost up. The local Holden Service Centre's response was "if you push hard enough, you'll get it in to reverse" and from what I can gather, did nothing more than come up with that sentence to solve the problem.

Obviously I know the difference between forcing the the gear selector over and it moving quite freely. It offers no resistance at all when it happens.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Can anyone offer an explanaition so I can stick it to them and get it fixed before my warranty is up?

Any comments are appreciated

vy1sv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv ute
i have had this happen to me, only i couldnt give a stuff about it :p. But yeah honestly i would take it very personally if someone said something like that assuming im completely stupid, talk to someone who will actually listen, like try calling holden in melbourne if they dont attempt to have a go at fixing it because it is obviously a PROBLEM not too much lead in your arm :)

Puggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Man Sedan Cosmo
Go to different dealers until one sorts it out. From experience, having a VY out of warranty sucks. I've had similar probs, so don't feel alone. All sorts of weird lock outs in all gears in the tremec 6spd...