Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

do it yourself service warranty issues

Tony2

Reaction score
Just wondering what the implications are with regards to manufactures warranty if you do your own servicing. I have always serviced my own cars and I resent paying a dealer big dollars just to do a glorified oil change. They list a whole heap of things that they supposively check but I think its just to justify the cost. If you can do it yourself to manufactures guidelines shouldn't they accept that or is it impossible to prove that it has been done at all?

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
They wont accept it,you touch it yrself they wipe the warranty.
Take it to one of the other known service places around and save few dollars that way.
ie ultra tune or repco it wont void yr warranty

Johnny_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute
I'm with you on this one. I hate paying someone to do things I am capable of doing.

My warranty is almost up so I am servicing it myself now. I struggled with paying someone $160 to drain my oil and change the oil filter. They don't even change the air filter every service and some charge extra to rotate your tyres!!!

SSMarine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY R8 Maloo
Having worked in the service industry (not automotive mind you) consumer law states any qualified mechanic can service your vehicle as long as it is done to the manafactuers specs. Holden, or any other company will try to tell you otherwise but it's just B.S. I could only imagine a serious restrictive trade court case there!!! Something the ACCC should get there teeth into!

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I do it all myself under the supervision and help of our company mechanic, i still have 6 months of warranty left but he signs the book for me.
It has since been in for a warranty issue but they covered it without problem.
The warranty claim had nothing to do with the mechanics side of things though.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
If I ever buy a new car think I'll try and find the make that offers free warrantee services ... I think there are some out there..

KBone

Shaunoff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
In regards to servicing your own car, does the computer need to be told that it's had a service?:computer: