Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Auto Tranny Fluid Change

TheJack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim 3.8
My mechanic who inspected my car when I brought it says my tranny oil is a bit dirty.
I'm thinking of changing it myself however I don't want to void my warranty with the people I purchased from - Garry Warren Smith.

Is it easy to do?
Will they notice that I have when I put it in next?
Maybe I should just tell them to do it but they will probably say it doesn't need it.:bang:

Now I'm stressed that its doing damage as I drive and that my transmission won't last as long if I don't change it.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated Thanks

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
yeh apparently at my last service my fluid was almost black, so i had them change it (im pretty sure when clean its red???)

anyway, id say do it yourself if your keen on saving money, cos all theyll do at the next service is check the colour i guess, and if youve done it yourself recently itll be clean

TheJack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim 3.8
Cool, is it easy tho?
Do you know anyone who has done it on a VY?
Any tips?

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Doing you service is the cheapest, but I reckon get it serviced so they can flush out the oil completely. When you change the oil, there is oil left in the torque converter which you can not empty, I think 30% is in there. If its really dirty, then go for the service.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
if u do it ur self, ust castrol dextron3, this is the recomended fluid for ur auto, not sure how many ltrs though, have to ask holden that, are u going to do the filter as well?