Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

modifying my dash, what do you think will be easier..?

fluxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
ello everyone,

ive been 'upgrading' the interior of my acclaim and am going for the black/silver dash of the vz ss because i want to put in one of those storage bins above the air vents and also want the cool cup holders either side of the stereo.

ive got myself the whole dash fascia etc out of an ss with all the little extras but of course it is for a climate control equipped car...

i could take my original dash and cut the piece out that surrounds the a/c controls and somehow graft it into the ss dash and then paint it black and try to make it look proper.. if i could pull it off without it looking crappy it would be kinda cool because it'd be one of a kind.

or i could change my car to climate control. i have no worries about all the wiring etc but i would need some sort of diagram so i know how its meant to go and id need to get all the parts/wiring/sensors/etc/etc/etc... which may be hard to find without going to holden and emptying my pockets and bank account.

so, ive been trying to decide what to do for a week.. what do people think would be easier?

cheers

matt :yeah:

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
climate control is an extremely hard ask. You would probably be better of hunting for an non climate control fascia and cutting your losses. Just depends how confident you are making one fit the other.......

fluxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
climate control is an extremely hard ask. You would probably be better of hunting for an non climate control fascia and cutting your losses. Just depends how confident you are making one fit the other.......

yeh, the only reason i want to go with the vz ss fascia is because i want the little storage bin and cup holders... neither of these features were available in non cc cars

id be far more confident converting my car to climate but its a matter of getting the parts so im leaning towards modifying the fascia.. ive never tried doing something like this before, but i guess the worst i can do is break the bit of plastic..

Willz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo Sv6 with leather
yeh, the only reason i want to go with the vz ss fascia is because i want the little storage bin and cup holders... neither of these features were available in non cc cars

id be far more confident converting my car to climate but its a matter of getting the parts so im leaning towards modifying the fascia.. ive never tried doing something like this before, but i guess the worst i can do is break the bit of plastic..

mate econverting ur car to climate is alot more involved time n $$$ wise than changing a facia as the stig said u can buy the nvu ones but that only gives u a vy style surround vs the vz one you want with the bin on top

if u look at the 'show us ur vy' thread at the top of this section look for vy_acclaims car hes done preety much what ur after.

he would be a good bloke to talk to as hes already done this type of mod

personally i was thinking of doing this myself too

from what ive heard from speaking to bezza (vy_acclaim), i actually goto uni with him :D , nvu have basically just plastic welded the non cc part onto the upper spec cup holder equiped centre console surround

this means u could attempt the same thing urself but you would need two facias to start off with. 1 cc and 1 non cc then pull them apart and figure out for urself a way to fuse the two bits together hope that helped :thumbsup:

fluxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
mate econverting ur car to climate is alot more involved time n $$$ wise than changing a facia as the stig said u can buy the nvu ones but that only gives u a vy style surround vs the vz one you want with the bin on top

if u look at the 'show us ur vy' thread at the top of this section look for vy_acclaims car hes done preety much what ur after.

he would be a good bloke to talk to as hes already done this type of mod

personally i was thinking of doing this myself too

from what ive heard from speaking to bezza (vy_acclaim), i actually goto uni with him :D , nvu have basically just plastic welded the non cc part onto the upper spec cup holder equiped centre console surround

this means u could attempt the same thing urself but you would need two facias to start off with. 1 cc and 1 non cc then pull them apart and figure out for urself a way to fuse the two bits together hope that helped :thumbsup:

thanks for the help guys :thumbsup:

yeh, i know it would be a huge job but was thinking of changing to climate because id feel much more at home doing that as opposed to cutting and welding plastic... ive pretty much written off the climate idea now though

ive been looking at the fascia that nvu sell and the photos of vy_acclaims car and i am gonna try and do the same thing. it would a heck of a lot easier to modify the vy fascia but never mind. ive got the vz one all pulled apart and ready to cut so ill keep yas posted on my sucess or failure... ;)

if anyone has any tips for cutting or welding plastic, let me know cause im completely new to this.. :yeah:

fluxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
turns out it wasnt too hard...

well, as it turns out it wasnt all that hard to do. i started with 2 fascias, 4 hours with a dremel tool and some araldite later and i have a non climate control vz ss style dash with cupholders.. :w00t:

now i just need to get some black a/c controls and a black cd player.. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMGP1603.JPG
    IMGP1603.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 1,617
  • IMGP1604.JPG
    IMGP1604.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 1,669
  • IMGP1605.JPG
    IMGP1605.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 2,430