Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DVD in VY- flip or not?

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
hey guys about to put a dvd player and screen in the vy, and i can get a jvc set up at cost through a sales rep i know, with the dvd as a deck, then the screen permanently built in somewhere.
im thinking about puting it on top of the dash above the air con controls etc in the spot where the hsv's and other higher performance holdens have the tacho etc but im thinking it might provoke theives.
would the screen and deck fit in where the entire stock stereo sits? has anyone put any other style of dvd in their car they would reccommend?
cheers guys.

p.s i was off my p's the weekend just gone and im enjoying respect on the roads

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
G'Day... I put a screen in mine - replaced the Blaupunkt unit. I wouldn't put it on the dash, as I heard that can render your car unroadworthy :whistling
Mine is a Kenwood, havn't had any probs with it! (knock on wood). If you get a 2DIN unit you will have to get a custom surround fabricated, as they don't exist OEM. If you get a collapsable 1DIN unit, then there are surrounds available, but I would suspect that the mechanism in those would be the first thing to break (the simpler the better). Goodluck with it! Here's a pic:

REMOVED

Last edited:

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
yeh cheers mate thats the kinda thing im after.
ill let you know how it goes

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
adventra3.jpg

adventra4.jpg

bad pics, but thats the setup in my VY..

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
Scroll to the bottom of this page... He incorporated the factory GPS unit to play video - very cool idea.

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
Scroll to the bottom of this page... He incorporated the factory GPS unit to play video - very cool idea.

It's actually not the factory GPS unit, it's a complete aftermarket install :p

It's a Fahrenheit brand screen as far as I can tell.