Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

APC Custom Exhuast - Extreme Disappointment

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Firstly, I'd like to thank the guys at APC Myaree for getting my car in on such short notice - I rang thursday afternoon, and they got me in on saturday, being from the country, and not going up to Perth again for a fewe weeks, I greatly appreciate this.

However, I can't help but feel ripped off with the cat-back exhaust I got done. I did the ring around on thursday, getting quotes from a few places for a twin 2 1/2" system. The first was for a Manta kit exhaust, mandrel bends and X-merger, $750. Second was APC, with a quote for $950 for a custom system. Then a small business which quoted $750 for another custom system, including a before and after dyno run. Last place I rang was Chipmaster, however they only do full DF systems, for around $2200. I rang up APC again, and asked if they could bring the price down a bit, and was told, quote, "You get what you pay for. The cheaper places will do crap joins and give you crap mufflers. You'll end up with a bad, leaky exhaust. Our systems are top quality and you really wont find better". I'm serious about the quote bit too.

This convinced me, because I dont want to take shortcuts on my car, so I took their advice and went with them. The system they did does sound great, and is a great fit with close tolerances at the tips with the bumper. However they didn't do mandrel bends, and they used a balance tube, rather than X-merger. These two things, in my opinion, somewhat go against the "wont find better" part of the deal. Fuel economy has also decreased by about 1L/100km on the hwy, with it now sitting on just under 10L/100km. It's taken me nearly 4 months to save up for the exhaust, being on apprentice wages, and I'm just really disapponted at the end result. I don't know how much of a difference the bends and balancer would make, if any, but these, at least in my opinion, are just not "top quality" methods. I'm going to ring them up tomorrow anyway, to let them know how I feel. Sorry I crapped on for so long too lol...

Am I just being stupid about the bends and balancer?

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
no mate if your not happy with what youve paid for then somethings wrong!
i would ring them up and politely tell them that you where told you would get mandrel bends and an x-merger and after haveing a look under the car found they arent there (that is of course if thats what you where supposed to get ) also have you noticed any performance increase?

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
no mate if your not happy with what youve paid for then somethings wrong!
i would ring them up and politely tell them that you where told you would get mandrel bends and an x-merger and after haveing a look under the car found they arent there (that is of course if thats what you where supposed to get ) also have you noticed any performance increase?

Na haven't really noticed a performance increase, although it does still have the standard front section...The fuel economy got me worried though...I thought if anything, it should've gotten slightly better...

Yeah I'm not an angry kind of person lol, so I wouldn't be yelling down the phone or anything :) Is just a lot of money for me!

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Did they quote you with a X merger and mandrel bends? If they did, you complain and go back and put them in their place.

That's where I think I'll get stuck. I told them about the Manta system and the quote for the other custom exhaust, and they said they'll do a far better job than them, however the that's all the quote was for. Fair enough if this isn't enough to get it fixed, although if they said they'd do a better job than the Manta system, they really should...

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Yeah they should. For that price, Mandrel bends should be used anyway, its a rip off otherwise in my opinion.

Yeah cool...I just needed some oustide opinions on the situation lol

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
beside the point, considering the exhaust is done, did you contact mettams mufflers?
im an apprentice as wel, and did a lot of research before my exhaust, and found those guys gave the most info, competitive price etc.
but yeh, definately give them a ring, if they pride themselves on customer service theyll do something about it, if not, telling your story on here will lose them business because of their bad doings

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
beside the point, considering the exhaust is done, did you contact mettams mufflers?

I don't think I did...Hopefully all will work out anyway though :)

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Am I just being stupid about the bends and balancer?

I don't think you are at all. Like Vn2nV said, for that price you should've got mandrel bends anyway. It should go without saying. That's why I like to watch people working on my car as much as possible.

And at the risk of sounding really dumb: What's an X-merger and a balance tube? :confused: