Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has Anyone Got A Shift Kit In A Vy?

Egnitevt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 S-03
Hi guys i want to know if anyone has a shift kit in their VY? Im am considering a stage 2 shift kit for my car? any idea's or any opinions i will take

thanks guys:D

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
What do you mean by "shift kit"? Do you mean a short-throw shifter for a manual gearbox, or perhaps a device for making an auto gearbox change gears in a more aggressive manner?

If you want to change an auto gearbox's manner of operation, I understand this will soon be possible with the use of VCM Suite software - this means you can have your normal shift behaviour in ECON mode, and much more aggresive shifts in POWER mode. I would strongly recommend this modification rather than modifiying the mechanicals of your gearbox.

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
whens that becoming available???
i contemplated a shift kit, didnt interest me much, but if it was just a computer mod rather than mechanical, id go for it

jrod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Wagon
i did this a couple years ago in my ef falcon. 10 bucks it cost. I just put a switch in my dash which turned it on and off, it had a couple of resitors between the gear box and the computer. Worked well but 2 years later the drive train was stuffed so think about it first, it puts a lot more stress on parts of ur car that aren't made for it

Egnitevt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 S-03
sounds oryt

a device for making an auto gearbox change gears in a more aggressive manner

is what im after, my car is automatic, how would i change something in the computer? im confused, would it work out better?

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
go to a trans shop they will sort it out for you there was a thread on here about them and most people said they were about 250-300 bucks...

have no idea what jrod done to his falc for 10 bucks!!?? get it cubed?? :p

jrod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Wagon
the same thing as the one that cost a couple hundred bucks but i did it myself, just had to do a bit of soldering. And yes it changed gears a lot harder, the wheels would chirp when it changed from first to second when i went flat out. If u do get it, make sure you've got a switch to turn it off. shift kit + wet roads = sideways car

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
a device for making an auto gearbox change gears in a more aggressive manner

is what im after, my car is automatic, how would i change something in the computer? im confused, would it work out better?

The pcm in your car controls the engine & the transmission. All the shift points, shift times & line pressures can be changed in this manner plus a variety of other settings. This is the recommended way of tweaking your tranny, not some snake oil type fix that can do more harm than good.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I may have jumped the gun a little....tuning the shift points etc is available on the V8 models (I've had it done, and it's great) and I understand that VCM Suite will soon be able to tune the Alloytech computers, but I'm not sure this will be available for VY 6-cylinder models as they use a totally different computer. Perhaps Kalmaker or similar can mess with these settings?

Using electronic means to alter shift behavior is far preferable to mechanical mods such as the ones mentioned above because it can be easily fine-tuned to give you precisely the response you are after. It also give you the optionof returning to stock (or a milder setting) at the touch of the Power button. No need for compromise - choose your shifts to suit your mood.