Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Smell

XXFR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY, S supercharged 2003
hi, guys. i have noticed something in my VY series 1 supercharged S. After I've left the car for the day in the hot sun covered with a car cover, and i come back and get in the car, there is strong fuel smell inside the car. I have checked the engine bay for leaks but didn't find any, checked for ruptured fuel lines but none found. Maybe I am missing something!!!

Any help guys?

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
I had the same thing happen twice, the smell would be worse in the boot and backseat but noticeable all through the car.

I suspected a dodgy fuel fump but my local dealer begged to differ, said something about clogged injectors causing it but said mine came out fine so to let them know if it happened again.

2nd time i went in they said i didnt do the fuel cap up properly...I mean come on guys, they said i have to turn it till it clicks frequently (i usually stop after one or two clicks), in theory it shouldnt get any tighter after the first click. These guys just dont want to fix anything.

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
fuel tanks do breath, in the VP the charcoal canister, wich is what the tank usess to breath, is in front of the battery, dont know in a VY but maybe because its under cover the tank is breathing through the cannister and the fumes are caught under the cover and then making there way into the cabin, on the bottum of the cannister should be a little outlet, if the same as VP, try connecting a hose and running it out from under the cover, so if the cannister does expell fumes they dont get trapped, thats my theory

tisfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Supercharged
Fuel smell - VY-I Supercharged S

hi, I had the same problem with my VY series 1 supercharged S as well when temps hit 39-40+C. Checked out engine bay and fuel lines and all ok.

I did trace it to possibly the Evaporative Emissions Control Systems (EECS) aka canister located between the rhs fuel tank and right hand wheel arch (rear axle centre section near fuel filter). There is a hose from the charcoal-filled canister and cable-tie strapped to inside of the fuel/petrol inlet which presumely releases any excess fumes.

You will need to remove rear rh wheel and arch covers to see it. Can only assume it's the vapour purge hose which releases any excess vapour not captured by the charcoal canister which it released under the wheel arch and makes it way into the boot (there are air vents just under the rear bumpers into the boot; you can see them when you remove inside boot carpet on either side of the rear bumer!). Seems silly to me but no problems since then.

Trust the above helps ...

XXFR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY, S supercharged 2003
hi, I had the same problem with my VY series 1 supercharged S as well when temps hit 39-40+C. Checked out engine bay and fuel lines and all ok.

I did trace it to possibly the Evaporative Emissions Control Systems (EECS) aka canister located between the rhs fuel tank and right hand wheel arch (rear axle centre section near fuel filter). There is a hose from the charcoal-filled canister and cable-tie strapped to inside of the fuel/petrol inlet which presumely releases any excess fumes.

You will need to remove rear rh wheel and arch covers to see it. Can only assume it's the vapour purge hose which releases any excess vapour not captured by the charcoal canister which it released under the wheel arch and makes it way into the boot (there are air vents just under the rear bumpers into the boot; you can see them when you remove inside boot carpet on either side of the rear bumer!). Seems silly to me but no problems since then.

Trust the above helps ...

Thanks for the info matey. As far as I have nothing to worry about, I'm happy. The temp's under the cover would definitely get above 40 deg Celsius here coz the outside temps going at 33-34 at the moment.

Thanks again.

steve40

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
I don,t know if this helps but whenever i filled mine up i would get a strong fuel smell in the car untill it got down to about 3/4 tank i too checked for leaks and loose hose but nothing, the only thing i did find was that the fuel cap was loose even though I let it click 2 or 3 time,then i was telling a mate about it and he said when I put the fuel cap back on after filling up only let it click once as he had the same problem with his vs so I tried it and what do you know no more fuel smells.I have filled up 4 times since and no smell so it looks like that was the problem.....

tisfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Supercharged
Hi everyone, with the high 30degCs in Melbourne a week ago, the smell came back into the cabin! After checking the hoses near the fuel tank, etc, no luck.
I finally replaced the fuel cap after suspecting that the old one was probably not sealing/seating properly and hence leaking into the cabin via the boot. Guess what, no more smell. Appears a dodgy fuel cap was the cause. As simple as that!

hsv_punk

I Just Want One
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Berlina V6
Hi everyone, with the high 30degCs in Melbourne a week ago, the smell came back into the cabin! After checking the hoses near the fuel tank, etc, no luck.
I finally replaced the fuel cap after suspecting that the old one was probably not sealing/seating properly and hence leaking into the cabin via the boot. Guess what, no more smell. Appears a dodgy fuel cap was the cause. As simple as that!

I have had the exact same results. However i've had a new cap on for a while now, and i occasionally smell the fuel smell again. Everytime I smell it, if I check the cap it is loose. So i'm just more carefull with ensuring it is completely tight. Anyone know of a non-ratcheting fuel cap that would fit a vy?