Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Noise

Huthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
Just wanting to know if anyone else has experienced Power Steering problems.

Mine is making a strange whining noise on low speed, under 20km/h turns. It doesn't matter if it's hot/cold, in/out of gear, air conditioning on/off. It's not the typical air in the fluid noise...

To me it sounds like high pressure fluid being pushed through the rack, a sit only happens when the steering wheel is being moved...

It's not overly loud, but at an annoying level that you hear an know something is not right...

Strangely Holden can't replicate it... The workshop manager came for a drive with me, and heard it, proclaiming he thought it was the rack... But then they couldn't replicate it on the hoist...:bang:

DanoSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Yep ive got the same noise, just an irritating whine while you move the wheel around at low speed. Ive got a VY SS II, ive noticed fluid level going down a bit as well. I need to take it to holden to get it fixed

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Could be crap in the fluid creating a restriction in the line somewhere. Or a dodgy valve in the rack.

Huthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
Yep irritating is the word.

I'm not losing fluid at all though.

I've had it at Holden, at the 10, 20, 30, & 40 service but they couldn't find it... On returning for post-service warranty work, I took the workshop guy for a test drive around the car park and he said straight away it would be the rack and would change out the rack.... "Quite common" apparently... But Hey they didn't change out the rack, but simply lubricated the "steering column"... Which didn't do a bloody thing...

It's now going back in for post-post-service warranty work and service rectification work, with the hope of "finding" what the problem is...

I'd be happy with them doing a fluid flush through the system... I've had the discussion with the service manager who said that wouldn't be covered under warranty.. My standpoint... Holden Service manual doesn't make any recommendations about service intervals for the power steering fluid, hence it's not a consumable as such... Same as differential oil... If there is something wrong with it in the warranty period, Holden should cover it, otherwise make a recommedation in the service schedule in terms of flushing the system!!

I'll let you know how I go tomorrow with the works!

kave1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2 v8 berlina
Gday guys, Holden know about this problem and have a modification to fix it, they replace your power steering lines with larger diameter hoses to reduce the pressure in the system.:thumbsup:

baggins404

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim SII
Yep I get the same noise aswell. A Particular whine especially when turning right. I also noticed if I have the hood up you can hear a slight air sucking noise aswell. Very irritating

Huthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
Well Guys, I had the car in on Friday for the power steering work, and other stuff. This time around the workshop and service manager took it for a drive to listen. They are still scrathing their heads though. They did a high pressure flush on the system hoping that it will stop the noise in the short term. Unfortuneately it hasn't though! They said that it could be the seal at the top of the rack and if necesary will replace that, but can't guarantee that it will fix the problem...

black vy03

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 2 sv6 sport wagon
hi guys, i have a vy with 35,000kms like new, the power steering pump makes a whirry noise goes up and down with revs there are no leaks fluid level is spot on. I took the belt off and the noise was gone i have checked all pulleys there fine, i have heard this noise on vr and vs any ideas on how to fix it just annoying.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Similar noise here, flushed the system and used a decent, power steering specific fluid. No real noise any more.

Huthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute 5.7 M6
Well the latest was the pump and rack were replaced!

Holden replaced the rack after I pushed and pushed for it, but only to fail to bleed the system properly, which then had me back for another trip to get the pump replaced under warranty!