Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering-should I/shouldn't I?

jyothi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
I'd love to lower my VY, Please let rip with all your opinions. I live in W Sydney, is there a good place I can get it done, should I have to change the shocks? anything that you guys can think of
every opinion appreciated and taken aboard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
i just sold a lowered car and i would never lower a car again after the ride it gives you, you lose all the comfort of the orig springs but gain a bit of handling, may look a bit better but rides like s..t.leave it for the race track in my opinion!

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
i just sold a lowered car and i would never lower a car again after the ride it gives you, you lose all the comfort of the orig springs but gain a bit of handling, may look a bit better but rides like s..t.leave it for the race track in my opinion!

Not entirely true mate. If you go for a stiff set up then yeah, you will get stiff ride. I just recently lowered mine on Pedders springs and the ride is no firmer than FE2. I say lower it if you like. As for needing new shock, depends how low you go.

Reaction score
Depends on your own outlook. You have to ask yourself the questions. If you are precious about your ride comfort, then perhaps it's not for you. I have gone to the extreme end of lowering so my ride wouldn't even do well on the racetrack. If I want luxury and comfort, i'll sit in the leather sofa at home, not in the car. ;)

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
if i want comfort and luxury i will sit in a calais or a recliner at home!

jyothi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
I'm Overwhelmed by the response. Thank you all very much. To be honest, yesterday I was in a dilemma but now I'm totally confused! I wish I could ride in someones' lowered car but most of my friends drive Curry car(!) (Camry) and I'm the one of the very first ones (of Indian background) to break the mould and buy a Holden.

will the ride be very rough?
I have another question in a new thread, can you all please take a moment and help me there? I have titled it "Noise in front wheels"
once again thanks a lot to all of you

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
my utes dropped 2" front, 3" from back from stock height, rides as good if not better on pedders, handles a bit better too, and rims aint worth having unless your cars lowered as the appearance is so much better.
my heights also handy as i dont have to sideways over speedhumps

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
I want to lower mine too... Problem is money... And I dont want to lose my ride comfort... Although it depends if you get shocks and depends on the set up etc...

Other things you should consider (as i am), what type of roads do you normally drive on? Very bumpy? lots of speed humps?

Also, any steep driveways etc? I've driven lowered cars and got into situations where I had to reverse-drive-reverse-drive-reverse-drive a few times because I couldnt get it out of a car park without scraping the bottow (but i managed :D)

Point is... Is it the right option for the type of use you get out of the car

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Dont forget also that your car is only an exec, and so it is fitted with the standard seats. The sporty models are running seats that help contain the shock made by the FE2. Most common mistake made by people lowering their cars imho, is dropping them too low. As far as ride is concerned, it's an obvious choice, the larger the travel on your suspension, the softer the ride, as there is more area for the "shock" to be absorbed, so what you need to ask yourself is, "why am I lowering my car?"

If your answer is to look nicer, then make sure you do it right!

jyothi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
I'm glad I asked, there's so much more to it than just shorter springs, I've come to learn! Thanks for all the input. I already find the ride a little bumpier after I got low profine tyres. I shall take everything you guys mentioned before I make a decision.
The only reason I want to lower is to make it look nicer. Handling wise, I'm not really a leadfoot and probably might'nt find too big a difference going around the bends. thanks once again all