Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

transmission shifter lights out, help please.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
just want some help please with removeing the trims to get the auto shift light globe out, does anyone have a discription or pictures of what needs to be removed, cheers, Ben.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
From watching Phreddy attack my console the other day you need to remove the whole centre console to get to the shifter base clips and to access the lighting underneath.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Yep - damn right! It's a pain in the bum.

Upright centre facia needs to come off (where the stereo and heater controls is), before that the centre flat panel (shifter and window switches) has to come out. Then you can remove the console itself after puling a few more screws and two nuts at the bottom of the storage bin.

Without taking all this out you won't be able to get to where you need to.

(heh - that's why I replace that globe with LEDs - never need to change them again!) ;)

Cheerz!

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Phreddy, I've removed the shifter surround (where the shifter boot gets held in) without removing the console. I've attached a pic of how far I got..can you get at the globes from here, or do you need to remove more stuff?

I've circled the 4 clip locations in red for cpbait's benefit - you can use a long screwdriver or butter knife to undo the clips. It's a bit awkward but it can be done.

Attachments

• p1.JPG
    p1.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 2,105

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Thats what we meant by a pain in the neck.

To undo those 4 clips you need to remove the whole centre console.

Should be 6 screws on the top (around the shifter), 1 on the passenger side at the bottom and 2 x 10mm nuts in the console bin under the rubber cd holder.

Lift console up and around the shifter (unplugging elec windows and cig socket)

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
The console is still in place in that pic, and the clips are undone - I only removed the plastic cover with the window switches etc. Maybe we're talking about different things?

Sly_VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Series II Karma SV6 Sedan
on a slightly different note, the lights have gone out on the dial where i turn on my lights. Is this an easy fix, whats involved?

Cheers

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey Klaw - no, we're kind-of along the same lines - but in order to fit the LED modification to both the shifter window and the PWR and TC buttons, that white housing also has to be removed. To do that bit, the console needs to come out.

Well, let me clarify that just a little - there might be a way to do it, but in my opinion would risk damaging something. The way I do it, there's no chance of that happening. Also makes it a lot more convenient to do the job. (the PWR and TC switches must be removed from that white frame in order to mod them with the LEDs, and it's pretty much impossible to remove them without having the frame on the bench in front of you...)

On your issue Sly, that's almost as much of a pain in the bum! :D these globes can be replaced, but they have quite unique leads which connect them to the PCB underneath. You can't buy these globes from Holden, all they want to sell you is a new headlight switch assembly - $40 and upwards. You could replace them I guess if you're able to adapt miniature 12V globes - run with your inventive side - I mean, worst case you'll have to buy a new headlight switch, but at this stage you have to anyway! ;)

To get the switch out, you need to remove the instrument cluster bezel, and I found it easiest if you remove the cluster itself as well. Then there are two spring wedge clips either side of the switch that retain the assembly in the dash panel - one is easy to get to, the other is near impossible. (even if you remove the vent coupling panel at the side - there's ducting in the way) I did have a little tool I made up with a couple of tricky bends in it which made it easier, but I've misplaced that. Now I just (carefully!!) use a miniature screwdriver to work in from the right (inaccessible) side and push the clip back. It's kinda hard to explain it properly, I hope you can see what I'm on about. LOL!

Anyhow, best of luck with it. Cheerz!

Banshee_04

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2004 SS Sedan 5.7L auto
Phreddy, I've removed the shifter surround (where the shifter boot gets held in) without removing the console. I've attached a pic of how far I got..can you get at the globes from here, or do you need to remove more stuff?

I've circled the 4 clip locations in red for cpbait's benefit - you can use a long screwdriver or butter knife to undo the clips. It's a bit awkward but it can be done.

Klaw81, thanks for posting this picture of the shifter. My shifter no longer displays the orange tab position to show what gear it is in. I have been trying for ages to find out how the tab is linked to the shifter lever. Of course I don't know at this stage if the tab is missing, displaced, or broken... but I am a lot better informed than I was previously.

If the tab is missing or broken, does anyone know if Holden can supply this as a seprate part, or am I up for an entire new shifter?

buzzard59

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vy s series11
just want some help please with removeing the trims to get the auto shift light globe out, does anyone have a discription or pictures of what needs to be removed, cheers, Ben.
cpbait i have replaced mine about three times but they keep blowing all you have to is remove the the side panel on the console.just pull the plastic plate down then you can get to the bottom of the shifter there are two wires going under the shifter its a bit tight . But put two fingers in turn the globe anti clockwise from memory then pull the plug and globe out the globe is a T10. Iput a led globe in then put the globe and holder back under the shifter its a bit fiddly push it back up and turn. then put ur trim back up and push to its back into position