Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which model to buy?

Bennyoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi

I am looking forward to buy a second hand commodore. Don't know which model to choose between the VY and VZ though. Currently I want the VY II S or VZ SV6, depends on the budget. Any ideas?

Is it possible to get an executive/acclaim version and modify the car? By modify I mean go for body kit, rims, brakes, engine and anything to make the car look better and perform better? Unfortunately I am geeky programmer who doesn't know a thing about mechanics but happens to like driving and cars.

Your answers will be much appreciated. I am in Melbourne and any shops/garage I could visit to have an idea would be nice.

Thanks.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
You can get a base model like an exec or acclaim and get a kit on it, but I'd say you're better off just getting the real thing (like an S for example).

Were you looking for performance? And a V6?

If you're looking more for 'driving pleasure', I would consider a VY II Calais, but as it's a heavier car, its going to perform that little bit less in a straight line

Anyway, out of the two options, I personally prefer the looks of the VY II S better than the VZ SV6, however the VZ SV6 comes with the 5 speed auto (true?). That being said, I would go for the VY

Good luck to ya :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Hey there,

Upgrading the base models (Exec & Acclaim) is no problem and you can do all sorts to them,

Eg: New larger wheels, Shorter Springs (lowered), SS Body Kit or after Market Kit, Roof Racks, Tow Bar, Weather Sheilds, Soundsystem (simple to do if you know how), Leather Steering Wheel, Upgraded Cup Holders, Silver Inserts on Dash, Coloured Dash Plate, Coloured LED Dash Lights, Nice Seat Covers, New Air Filter (Flat or Pod), New Exhaust system (From the cats back or do the cats and the headers too)

Above are just a few examples of things you can do which are fun to do and make you car look good.

Myself I have done this to my Acclaim as I'm a station wagon fan and the only other station wagon I could find besides the Exec was the V8 SS for a **** load more dollars since there a limited edition so I went with the V6 and I am very happy with my Acclaim.

Hope this helps a little oh and BTW I bought a lot of my stuff from EBay but not the sound system of cause.

Windsurfing.....

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
And batting for the Spac team, krazyboris

Owning a VYII S, I am a little biased, but I am in love with my machine. I weighed up similar variety's as yourself, and in the end, after driving the S/Ced VY, I was instantly a fan. All of the options mentioned above can also be performed on the S pac, and if you manage to get a S/Ced, then there are even more options. :)

Final note, series 2 commodores are (imho) always the better option, quite a lot of flaws are addressed by this stage, and in regards to the engines, the ecotec in the vy has been around for ages, and is easy to work on. As for the alloytech, no idea, talk to the VZ owners for info on that. :)

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i definetly go vz with the alloytec, much more newer age and smoother, but if you go vy get a series 2

Bennyoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi guys

Thanks for the reply. The VY II is first on my list and as you put it I will spend less in terms of customization. I like the VZ SV6 because it comes in 5 speed semi-auto (I am going for auto instead of manual, please don't boo me) specially.

While browsing around I came upon this web site: JHP Vehicle Enhancements They are based in Victoria and enhance Holden vehicles specially. Have you heard about them guys?

http://www.jhp.com.au/sedans.php

Cheers

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
I have used JHP for a couple of things, good to deal with and as I'm a million miles away they get things here quick as..

Windusrfing.....