Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Foam falling out of driver seat???

coroman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s
Hi
I have a 2003 Vy S series 1, 75ks with SRS. Is anyone else having problems with the upholstery on the sides of the seat backs wearing out? My driver side has worn to the extent that a hole has now appeared and the foam in the seat is breaking up and falling out. I feel is has something to do with the side airbags and the rubbing when getting in and out of the car. The quality of the material used is in question as my previous Vt had no wear after trading in at 150000ks.

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
When you say SRS, I take it you mean you optioned up to the curtain airbags right? Cant say that I have had any probs myself, but you could always ring a few wreckers and see if they have seats with similar wear patterns, may well be an issue with curtain airbags.

coroman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s
Apparently the air bags deploy from the sides of the back of the seats nearest the door. When you get in and out of the vehicle your clothing tends to rub against this area as it tends to stick out a little. When i purchased the vehicle almost a year ago i noticed that fluff was apearing on the material in this area but did not think that a hole would appear so soon.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
I know what you mean, My VY SII has done only 59,000km and a little pin hole has appered and the wing in that area is all soft and mushy.
I could probley get in & out a bit better by lifting my body over the wing but it's not really some thing you think about at the time.
Do you get the same problem with leather seats going like that? the mushy wing thing I mean.

Windsurfing.....

BJ's VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
I noticed the same wear, then the rip, then the foam too. I thought it was me being careless with the security card clip. I spoke to the local dealer they said it was quite common for the local NZ police vehicles to need the skins [the outer seat cover] replaced; along with the plastic cover on the bottom right of the seat. I agree it makes you think about the fabric choice by holden.

Option A replaces with original new Holden skin; cost $420+NZD for a top of the seat skin, then $130 NZD for the labour but might be able to get the labour down to $80.

I spoke to one local upholsterer, because my car has the side impact airbags in the seat they needed to take off the skin, get the skin sent to Auckland to be stitched by an authorised stitcher for airbag seats [I think Land Transport NZ approval may be?] Call this option B costs all up to remove skin to complete the repair and refit $220NZD approx.

The other option C was to cut out the bottom ¼ just above the wear and stich that up in his shop $160NZD; this included matching the other side of the seat up. Another upholsterer quoted me $270.00NZD for this same option C.

Looks like option B is the go, and I just view the cost as the price safety, which I never begrudge.

[This guy needs an airbag? :bang: ]

Last edited:

coroman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s
Thanks for the advice, I have written to Holden and they have responded by saying a rep. will be contacting me soon. Holding thumbs !!!!!!

paulyb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Thanks for the advice, I have written to Holden and they have responded by saying a rep. will be contacting me soon. Holding thumbs !!!!!!

Hi, how did you get on with the Holden rep? I realise it was a few years back but I now have the same problem.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I don't think he is going to respond since his account has been inactive since 2007.