Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mini spool

Egnitevt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 S-03
Im considering getting a mini-spool but am wondering is it going to cause damage to my car does anyone have any information regarding VY's and mini spools...arrr

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
LSD's wear out, mini spools don't, do a search on it, these threads always come up

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
yeah they wear out if you continually use them for burnouts, but a vy v6, not my idea of a burnout machine

Egnitevt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 S-03
yer well im thinking of getting one so does anybody now if damages will come upon this intalation of the spool:whistling

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
damage?? Your bank balance for starters. These parts are most likely to fail: Suspension bushes, tyres, uni joints, wheel bearings, diff gears, possible irs cradle cracking, accelerated wear to all driveline. A mate had a VY 6 with a spool and his had problems with all of the above. Ive driven it, and i think its an absolute pig to drive. The driveline sounds like one of those VY taxis with 400 000 kms on the clock!

Just wait for all the spool lovers to flame me now lol. Well theres my opinion

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
REV-231 you dont have to wait for someone to flame you nemore, misispools are great!! haha.
Nah, i have one in my VN firstly coz its cheaper than an LSD and you dont have to get it retightened like an lsd if you do do a lot of burnouts and also because i enjoy being able to do go sideways and do donuts. Ive had mine since January and have had to replace nothing except for tyres!!!! :yeah: But thats just my experience, many ppl have snapped axles and stuff... One more thing, minispools are illegal, and LSDs are not. But ay, its up to you really Egnitevt. I know that id never go back to a single spinner except if i got YELLOWED :whistling
Enjoy! :thumbsup:

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
REV-231 you dont have to wait for someone to flame you nemore, misispools are great!! haha.
Nah, i have one in my VN firstly coz its cheaper than an LSD and you dont have to get it retightened like an lsd if you do do a lot of burnouts and also because i enjoy being able to do go sideways and do donuts. Ive had mine since January and have had to replace nothing except for tyres!!!! :yeah: But thats just my experience, many ppl have snapped axles and stuff... One more thing, minispools are illegal, and LSDs are not. But ay, its up to you really Egnitevt. I know that id never go back to a single spinner except if i got YELLOWED :whistling
Enjoy! :thumbsup:

I agree! Theres plenty of pros and cons on the matter. Just weigh them up and go with what you feel is ideal for your application!

Also, ive chosen to go the LSD path coz i want my car to maintain reasonable manners on the street, plus, i dont do stomper ringys or many burnouts in general.. so my LSD should last a fair while. Dont get me wrong, i had considered a spool due to how cheap they can be done. But for me the negatives outweighed the positives for the spool.

btw.. great looking setup in your wagon Claudy! what sort of power does she make?

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
everyone goes on about how minispools are illegal, i bet i can find at least 2 illegal things on most cars in this forum.

VIPVT

Reaction score
can i put a mini spool in my single spinner vt?, and should it be all good ? or will **** break easily in it.