Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

driveline clunk vy

vs hay hauler

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Please Help: I Have A Vy Ss S2 5.7 6 Speed Seems To Be Very Loose In Driveline When Slowly Moving In And Out Of Driveway/shed Have Asked Holden Dealer To Check On Last Service And They Said Its Find Some Are Just Like That I Need To Know More About This Clunk Noise As Warranty Is About To Expire Car Has Only 48000klm 2nd Owner Thanks

kave1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2 v8 berlina
Please Help: I Have A Vy Ss S2 5.7 6 Speed Seems To Be Very Loose In Driveline When Slowly Moving In And Out Of Driveway/shed Have Asked Holden Dealer To Check On Last Service And They Said Its Find Some Are Just Like That I Need To Know More About This Clunk Noise As Warranty Is About To Expire Car Has Only 48000klm 2nd Owner Thanks
Have you checked the universal joints & centre bearing on the tail shaft or your LSD might need adjustment

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909

Wouldn't be too concerned about it mate. A bit of diff backlash is quite normal. Mine does exactly the same thing and you'll find that a lot of other members on here get it as well.

I'd like to make a suggestion though. If your car is just about to run out of warranty and you're concerned at all, I would suggest getting a vehicle inspection from an independent source. Like RAC in your state. Then if there is an issue with the car, Holden can't bull**** their way out of it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
Wouldn't be too concerned about it mate. A bit of diff backlash is quite normal. Mine does exactly the same thing and you'll find that a lot of other members on here get it as well.

I'd like to make a suggestion though. If your car is just about to run out of warranty and you're concerned at all, I would suggest getting a vehicle inspection from an independent source. Like RAC in your state. Then if there is an issue with the car, Holden can't bull**** their way out of it.
Good suggestion, pity I didn't think about getting this done before my warranty ran out :(

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Do you get the clunk when you're rolling along in slow traffic and you slowly accelerate and/or back off?

I had that same thing and was at first told it was normal but it got worse and worse and started making all kinds of horrible noises. Turned out my diff was shot (only 40,000 Km on it at the time). Holden were reluctant, but I jumped up and down a bit and got them to replace it with a new one under warranty. $1100 worth of diff apparantley. So yeah, that's my experience...

SS_ute

Two Steps Ahead
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute
i had the same prob in my ss ute and it turned out to be the diff so i replaced it with a kaaz diff never had a prob since and so much better than the standard lsd