Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Berlina VY II stereo, how do i turn off auto tone adjustment?

Acehoilo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Berlina VY II
Hello,

I finally bought myself a new car (Berlina VY II) a few days ago and ive noticed the CD/radio turns itself down when I turn it up. Is this some kind of feature designed to stop you blowing out your speakers? If so is there any way to disable it or to atleast let me choose the volume at which it tones itself down?

Any help with this matter would be great :)

Last edited:

SinisterVY

"The World Is Yours..."
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY II S
I think its actually speed dependant. As in it will adjust the volume when you travel at a higher speed. Im guessing this is a safety like feature so that you are not distracted by the radio when driving at high speeds

Dont know if it can be turned off or adjusted though. Never fear.. someone here will have the answer

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
yep, when you start the car, the screen will say "press mode for options menu", so press mode, scroll through, speed dependent volume can be turned off, as can sensitivity of auto lights and a bunch of other stuff

Acehoilo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Berlina VY II
Beautiful, turned it off and went for a cruize and it sounds awesome :)

Thanks

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Acehoilo and AR-83-ON you are talking about two different things.

There is the speed dependant volume, where the volume automatically goes UP the faster you go. This is to compensate for road noise etc and you can adjust how much it goes up by, or disable it altogether.

Then there's the other feature (can't remember what it's called now!) where it'll turn the volume down to stop the speakers getting damaged if for example you've got it cranked right up and there's a lot of bass etc. Again, you can turn this feature on or off.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

race4life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ACCLAIM
Acehoilo and AR-83-ON you are talking about two different things.

There is the speed dependant volume, where the volume automatically goes UP the faster you go. This is to compensate for road noise etc and you can adjust how much it goes up by, or disable it altogether.

Then there's the other feature (can't remember what it's called now!) where it'll turn the volume down to stop the speakers getting damaged if for example you've got it cranked right up and there's a lot of bass etc. Again, you can turn this feature on or off.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Thats called AUDIO DISTORTION !!!!

Acehoilo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Berlina VY II
Yea thats the other thing I axed, just need to spend some money and get myself some nice speakers/subby and ill be cruizing. So do you guys run it with speed dependent on? doesnt seem to be a usefull feature.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Yea thats the other thing I axed, just need to spend some money and get myself some nice speakers/subby and ill be cruizing. So do you guys run it with speed dependent on? doesnt seem to be a usefull feature.

Personally, I do keep the speed dependent volume on. I like how it overcomes any road/wind noise as you speed up. I also like being able to cruise along at a fairly high volume, but it turns itself down when you roll up to a set of lights.

The audio distortion thingy I turn off. I don't need to be told when my speakers are distorting - I can hear that for myself! Plus its not real relevant when you're running an amp and aftermarket speakers...

392RWkwSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
im running aftermarket speakers without an amp in my exec but have found that the sound quality is not much better and that the speakers distort at close to the same point that the stock speakers did. My speakers are pioneers so they aren't cheap and nasty. i no i need an amp but would changing the head unit from the single stacker to the 6 stacker make any difference?

batemada

Reaction score
Wellington, New Zealand (Yes i know yet another KI
Members Ride
2009 Gold Calais V Sportwagon
no it wont they both have the same size amp in them, the only way you will notice a difference is if you run the speakers of a seperate amp or if you change your head unit for a 3rd party head unit which isnt too hard to do in a VY. you just need a 3rd party head unit a wireing harness to change it from the holden plug to yours and a single or double din surround for it to sit in and make things look tidy.