Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

any stereo that will re-use steering controls?

vinni30

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII executive Wagon
Interested in getting a new stereo for my VYII that has mp3 playback. Sick of getting crappy sound from my FM transmitter for my mp3 player.:bang:

But is there a unit out there that will allow the steering wheel controls to still function???!!!

I'd love to get Phreddy's mod but I'm down in in Melb, and I'm not much of a "elec head". Or if there is anyone out there in Melb who can do the mod, please let me know.

Vince

Last edited:

mccar13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 Evoke Wagon & VF S2 SSV Redline Wagon
I bought the kit off Pheddy, but as i lived down in Melbourne, i just got a local TV repairer to look at the kit and then he sent me to his mate who fixes car radios. A bit more expensive as it was the time time he had done one of these kits, but did a great job.

Bennyoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I bought the kit off Pheddy, but as i lived down in Melbourne, i just got a local TV repairer to look at the kit and then he sent me to his mate who fixes car radios. A bit more expensive as it was the time time he had done one of these kits, but did a great job.

Hi

I am getting a car tomorrow. I want to keep the factory unit and will order the input unit from Phreddy. As I am in Melbourne too can you PM the details of the guy who did the job for you here?

Or if Phreddy is coming in Melb some time around, I will rather wait for him.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Hey there Vinni30

There is a unit that you can get from Autobarn for about $50 to $70 called a Cat Nine.
It will fit about 10 different cars and I can't remember how many different head units but it's a few. All the good brands eg: Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood to name a few, over say $450.

My unit is the Pioneer with the Bluetooth built in, sorry can't remember the part number but there is only one and it's a ripper.

It works perfect with the cat 9 steering wheel controls with what I think is no delay between pressing buttons as some people will say.

It has a small infa red eye that needs to be able to look at the headunit and the boys told me to put it in the roof lining but I found it easier to put it poking out of the rear of the little rubber coin tray on the lower centre console before the power window switchs. I have never bumped it.

The Cat Nine also makes it possible to use the steering wheel controls with my Ipod as I am using the Pioneer Ipod adapter and I can pick songs, playlists etc from the steering wheel controls.

It's the best and the head unit been a blue display it will match my blue lights that I am going to get Phreddy to do for me as soon as the blue LEDs arrive.

Windsurfing.....

surfindude

hothouse green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S pack s1
this cat nine unit you are talking about, is there any info on the net about it and is it hard to install. got any picture of how u mounted the IR sender. and what does the mode button do or is it programable.

surfindude

hothouse green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S pack s1
windersurfer where did you get ur from i rang autobarn today and the cat 9 is bout $200 and cat3 $249 local audio dealer wanted $295 plus install
did u get cat 9 unverisal one or cat 3 which is the one made for VY commo
thanks any more info would be great

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Hi there all,

I got mine from Autobarn in Townsville when I bought a heap of gear and it was a younger guy (part time) serving me I even got him to double check the price and he said that was it so I snaped it up along with the rest of my toys.
I got a pretty good discount of a few things and not so good on some others so the Cat 9 might have been a extra discounted item for me.

But same with my Ipod adaptor down there in Townsville every where else wanted between $290 & $300, walk off the street wanting to buy that only and it cost me $230.00.

I got the Cat 9 that fit's a number of cars including Holdens & Fords.

Wiring it in is not hard either, just don't chop the wrong coloured wire when your linking the Cat 9 in to the spool of wires in the back of the console.
(Instructions are good and tell you which coloured wires for which car etc) Cable tie the box in some where out of the way and make sure to switch the box to the type of car and headunit, run the little eye some where and fit it and your all done pretty much.

It's the old story if you had to do it again if would take half the time.

I will post a pic od the eye shortly.

I have never seen any info on the web about them but I never went looking either.

The Mode button changes it between tunner, bluetooth, phone, cd, Ipod, Aux 1 & Aux 2 on my head unit but like if I have the Ipod going and hit the list button on the head unit to bring up the music menu like play lists etc it becomes an ENTER button.

Will be back soon with that picture.

Windsurfing.....

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Heres that pic of the eye,

Out of the way and easy to install.

Windsurfing.....

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 524