Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS Cold Air Induction

ACes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 A4 SS
I have recently thought about tinkering with my baby. Small at first i was thinking about cold air induction. Having a look at the air box, it does have a decent intake directed at the head light.

I was speaking to a guy and he was recomending a SS inductions kit, (see link) But for the kit and a K&N filter im looking at $530. I thought i better ask the around and get some feedback, weather its actually worth it?

Im pretty new at all this so any help will be appreciated.

Link to SS inductions kit.

Holden VY V8 5.7 GenIII SS Induction Kit

Oh btw i have a VY SS 5.7L

Thanks

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
def a good upgrade once u got exhaust and a set of headers to maximise the performance gains.. heard alot about the Vy kits .. went to a shop were the guy had 1 in his Vy ss ute looks and sounds nice .. depending if u wana go the pod filter set up or just with a K&n Pannel or BMc pannel filter ...
dyno figures reckon u can get a 12kw increase
u should try looking on Ebay as they are abit cheaper...
good luck

Old Coot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR,SS manual
I did a cold air induction about 6months ago along with remapping.It made a noticable difference.I've not yet dynod but have recently added a man T5 trans and its starting to be fun to drive.

VYClubby

Proud Clubby Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
294rwkw Oztrack Tuned 220 cam
Commonly know as an SS REDUCTIONS kit. They are made of pretty thin plastic tubing that actually sucks in under WOT reducing the diametre of the intake! You are better off going with the old reliable Monaro Cold Air Intake and 2 hole mod on the airbox. You can get the parts from Holden and with a K and N filter the whole thing would cost less than $200. I did it to my Clubby before my mafless tune and it worked a treat. Just remember on the SS Reductions box it says "up to 12rwkw" so the gain could be just 1!

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
hey vy clubby, is this monaro kit for the gen3's? (might sound like a stupid question, but i know they had v6's and i had a v6s/c ecotec cai on my vr v6, with a k+n airfilter worked a treat on a stock v6)

S7YL1N

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT
My mate has a VY SSZ 5.7ltr and has just bought an SS Inductions 'Growler' kit... The gain is noticable, especially at high RPM and the sound is just amazing.

It does has a full twin 2.5in exhaust also. I love it when he boots it on the straights.. sounds so aggresive!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
My mate has a VY SSZ 5.7ltr and has just bought an SS Inductions 'Growler' kit... The gain is noticable, especially at high RPM and the sound is just amazing.

It does has a full twin 2.5in exhaust also. I love it when he boots it on the straights.. sounds so aggresive!

Your mates SS would have to be the first ever car that has improved. I tried the SS reduction kit 3-4 different times on a dyno and it made NO difference at all.

You are best saving your $$$ and buying an OTRCAI setup, get a maf version, and a tune. Simple :)

mar-d-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Clubsport
yep, mcai for me works a treat on my VY2 clubby...thought about the other after market kits (SS & KN pod) but all i needed to do was spend less than $30 to get near the same sound in WOT, without the excessive sucking noise of the pod...she is more responsive on the throttle.... performance increase wise, well i don't know only a dyno would tell the picture but probably not much over standard 285kw as i haven't changed the factory HSV cat back yet...

OTR for sure if u want to spend the $$$ on it, but for me i'm sticking with the GTS air box/pipe & mcai...

minux have u got a maf tune or mafless, if it's MAF, how has ur driveability increased...

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Your mates SS would have to be the first ever car that has improved. I tried the SS reduction kit 3-4 different times on a dyno and it made NO difference at all.

You are best saving your $$$ and buying an OTRCAI setup, get a maf version, and a tune. Simple :)

You wouldnt really notice a SS induction kit on a Dyno though

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
so where did they get their supposed 12rwkw gain from then? a twin blown big block?

Last edited: