Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shift Improver Kit

richierich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11SS
Im thinking of installing the B&M shift improver kit to my auto.Has anyone done this and tell me what you think.I have a V6 raptor s/c.:whistling

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Bought one off ebay ages ago- like a year or so. She gets driven hard, but no problems to speak of. I quite like it.

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
Bradcad

Did you install it yourself and how do you describe the difference in the shifting of the box as compared to stock.

Also very interested in your comments

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Installed myself- it was so long ago now but I think it took about 20 minutes, including time finding a soldering iron and solder.

Definantly a different feel when it is switched on or off. Can switch on when driving, but not off, although it was advised to only switch on or off when stopped.

I just always hated how long it takes to change gears, and as this increases line pressure it cuts some time out of the changes.

You can definantly feel the gearchanges are stiffer and far more i guess 'deliberate', in that it doesnt feel like a soft smush into the next gear. Most noticeable at lower revs, as I believe its tricking the computer into thinking you are doing higher revs with more throttle. Up high I dont think there is much or any difference.

Only one complaint, and I did contact the guy about it, is that at idle she still changes stiff. No real problem, just not the most comfortable feeling with the wife and mother inlaw asking 'So you actually wanted it to be like this?' when you forget to switch it off and you remember there is a little slack in the driveline.

Very happy when I tow the boat with it, as I can just imagine a standard change slowly engaging under additional tow load, again this is deliberate and almost instant, when it decides it wants to change.

Very happy with it, will be looking at another one if I ever own another slushbox.

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
Bradcad

What you describe is almost identical to the thing from Shift Kits | Ford Holden Automatic Transmission Shift Kit Australia which I have in my VY. Only thing is the effect isn't there are full rpm, at 60% it works fine but fades back out to normal shifts at full power.

Thanks for the feedback anyway. I got some servos to go in and will see what they do

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
That's the one

Didnt bother me too much because I dont spend a lot of time at full RPM, just the occasional bit 'o' fun

chris.dobinson

Never Late In My 3.8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
can i ask how much for the servos as i am thinkin of doin this to mine... are they the corvette ones?

richierich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11SS
Hey guys found some interesting information on this subject.Google "billet servo " and the 1st one says Fit Forum:Billet servo.Tell me what you think:)

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Billet servo's are so expensive though... IMO a shiftkit is much better value.

You can get a stage 2 shiftkit (not a pos shift improver kit either) from transgo, a larger boost valve and a corvette servo fitted for the same price as JUST those billet servo' in that thread.

Which would you rather?