Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY S pac Tyre noise

red\/Y

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S II
Hello everyone
Im thinking about getting a 2003 VY series 2 s pac only problem is the car makes a wierd noise when slowing down, the guy rekons its because of the wheels/tyres (there 18inch or 17inch (not too sure) it only does it at first quiet a werid noise
just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this one
sounds like the wheel bearing to me but is that actually possible for the tyres to have that effect,
thanks for any help

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Now it could be tyres but depending on kays done it could be the diff. Mine has a wierd noise in it after doing 50+ kays and is going in under warrenty to be fixed.
Cheers Shane

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Definitely could be tyre noise

Hi Red,

The noise you describe definitely could be tyre noise, caused by either the design of the tyre tread pattern, tyre compound or improper wear.

The simplest one to check is the tyre wear pattern. Some tyres develop a real howl at low speed because of this. I had an XC Barina with 17's and a set of cheap and nasty Asian brand tyres purchased through Tyrepower. The ride was hard as a truck, no give in the low profiles tyre and they howled their heads off in parking areas where you would only be doing about 10 - 15 k's. Uneven war due to a sagged front end didn't help. Selling the Barina did.
As you indicated that the noise in the VY occurs when slowing down, I suspect the prblem is excessive tyre wea, caused by poor wheel alignment.

Other tyres are noisy on some surfaces and not others. My Mark V Golf had Michelins from the factory and they were extremely noisy on coarse bitumen.

Regards

pj

VT Berlina 07

15.37 @ 147 KPH
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 EF2 Futura I6 Auto
hi, do you mean when having medium-hard pressure on the brake pedal?

red\/Y

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S II
no the brake isn't applied at all

Flat_White

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rolls Royce "Fantom"
sorry to revive an old thread but i am having the same problem... with exact same car too.

it seems that when i acclerate to about 15-25kms the noise occurs... it sounds a bit like tyre noise, but mainly like a real friction noise.

it seems to be coming from the front left of the car....

really starting to stress at this stage

lil lucifer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 A4
sorry to revive an old thread but i am having the same problem... with exact same car too.

it seems that when i acclerate to about 15-25kms the noise occurs... it sounds a bit like tyre noise, but mainly like a real friction noise.

it seems to be coming from the front left of the car....

really starting to stress at this stage

Bugger no replies to this guy either for a year. I have exactly the same prob as this guy. Sound comes from front left more than anywhere. bearings seems fine im lost.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Run your hand across the tread on the front tyres. See if you can feel a raised edge on the tread pattern. It will feel quite obvious - if you can feel it, have a good look at the tyres and you should be able to see a fine raised lip on the tread at the front of each tread block. Generally, you will find it occurring on the outer side of the tyre. If you have this pattern of wear, it is likely to be caused by excessive toe-in.

Irregular wear on tyres, caused by improper wheel alighnment, can create a noise that is most obvious at low speeds, particularly when you are slowing down on smooth bitumen. I have experienced it on a few cars and the best description is a loud humming sound that diminishes as you slow down.

lil lucifer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 A4
Run your hand across the tread on the front tyres. See if you can feel a raised edge on the tread pattern. It will feel quite obvious - if you can feel it, have a good look at the tyres and you should be able to see a fine raised lip on the tread at the front of each tread block. Generally, you will find it occurring on the outer side of the tyre. If you have this pattern of wear, it is likely to be caused by excessive toe-in.

Irregular wear on tyres, caused by improper wheel alighnment, can create a noise that is most obvious at low speeds, particularly when you are slowing down on smooth bitumen. I have experienced it on a few cars and the best description is a loud humming sound that diminishes as you slow down.

BINGO!! ha ha. it was tires and wheel alignment/ballance more the later. Thanx for the suggestion.The dealers mechanic was sure it was the transmission as the noise was more of a whiny grind than tire sound and had a fair vibration that felt mechanical and front left or at least mid body. He sent it off to a tranny place (and I dont mean a shemale brothel lol) but they sent it back with no probs but recommended all 4 wheels be rebalanced and aligned. I did find that the tires had a lip like you described but on the outer moreso than inner. Best part is that not only did I get the probs sorted, I got new(not machined but new) brakes (discs and pads) and new tires under 2nd hand warranty. ha ha ha my warranty doesnt even cover brakes and tires at all ha ha ha. They were all replaced by the dealers mechanic as he narrowed down the possible causes. I shouldnt laugh. They were looking after a customer and thats rare in after sales service in 2nd hand cars. I will recommend them. they have a few more SS's on the lot now and another black one and a silver R8 that looks good for 34k starting price. Could beat them down for sure. I did on mine.