Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Factory Reversing Alarm System

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I have a few questions regarding the factory installed reversing alarm system, particularly as it is available as an installation kit. Hope someone can answer my questions.

1. Where is the main unit actually situated?
2. Does the kit have a template to show where to drill the holes in tne rear bumper facia?
3 Is the kit completely located within the boot, or are there other parts which need to be installed inside the car or the engine bay?
4. Does the alarm use the existing warning alarm in the car which alerts you to seat belt, handbrake, speed warning etc, or is it a separate alarm?
5. I have found a single white wiring connector in the boot, above the right hand tail light. Is that the power feed for the alarm system?

Regards

pj

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Dragging this one up from the dark past - anybody got an answer?

Regards

pj

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
The alarm unit is situated under the parcel shelf.
The kit does come with a template.
I know it's not too bad to install, my brother had his vz ss done by a mate and he said it took him a little over an hour to do.You'll have to take in your paint code when you order the kit so the senses will match your paintwork.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Hey there,

I fitted one to my Commodore, it was some time ago so I will try and remember where all the bits go etc.

1. Where is the main unit actually situated?
I'm pretty sure it got stuck to the right hand panel of the car right in front of the rear brake/blinker light.

2. Does the kit have a template to show where to drill the holes in tne rear bumper facia?

Yes, just cut it out and drill. But you will need to go and buy a orga bit ((22.4mm I think it was))

3 Is the kit completely located within the boot, or are there other parts which need to be installed inside the car or the engine bay?

No all in the boot/rear bumper area.

4. Does the alarm use the existing warning alarm in the car which alerts you to seat belt, handbrake, speed warning etc, or is it a separate alarm?

No it's from the rear of the car from that box that goes in the rear of the car.
It has a little speaker.

5. I have found a single white wiring connector in the boot, above the right hand tail light. Is that the power feed for the alarm system?

Now I'm pretty sure that's power or some thing else but it uses that one and then you unplug the rear light and add the new wires in between the two.
Plug & Play pretty much.

Well hope this helps and more questions and I will try my best to remember...

Windsurfing.....

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Oh Juzo,

I guess I a minor here as I'm a wagon owner and the box went behind the light but of cause sedans are probley different.

I do remember there were two set of instructions one for S Wagons and one for Sedans just like when I was putting my towbar on...

Windsurfing.....

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Thanks guys, that has answered my question beautifully. Just one more question - how much was the kit from a dealer, and if bought second had, at what price?

Regards

pj

Last edited:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Thanks guys, that has answered my question beautifully. Just one more question - how much was the kit from a dealer, and if bought second had, at what price?

Regards

pj

I think it was around the $340 mark, new from the dealer.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Mine was off EBay already colour coded for my car.

It was brand new GM product and cost me I think $150.00 and works a treat.

Windsurfing.....