Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

check alternator warning on console

race4life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ACCLAIM
Hi Everyone,

I was coming back from visiting a friend last night and all of a sudden "Check Alternator" message came up on the screen. I pulled over to one side and stopped the car. I key the ignition to check if the error message comes up again but no. After I drive for about 20 yards the same message came up again. It ate up the crystal vision globes for good. Now I also have the battery light lit up on the dash. What might it be? Is it the alternator or the black box [regulator].Being a Saturday I am not sure of how to get this fixed or where. And more importantly I am sortta outta cash since the stupid payroll is shut for till the next week. How much would it cost for the worst case? How much would it cost if its just a regulator? Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s utility,and a KENWORTH
G'Day
The regulator is the black box in the back of the alt (cant say ive actualy had one of these off !) but if its the same as the earlier type you can get a new reg from bursons/repco ect,try to get a Bosch one if its bosch, cost around $40-50.
Did you say it popped ya headlight globes ?coz if it did do not drive it until you get it fixed or you will fry the computer,then you will be up for some real money.
Regards Phillip :wax:

race4life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ACCLAIM
G'Day
The regulator is the black box in the back of the alt (cant say ive actualy had one of these off !) but if its the same as the earlier type you can get a new reg from bursons/repco ect,try to get a Bosch one if its bosch, cost around $40-50.
Did you say it popped ya headlight globes ?coz if it did do not drive it until you get it fixed or you will fry the computer,then you will be up for some real money.

Thanks for the info Philip. Any idea on how much it would cost me to get the alternator fixed up? If thats the one which is faulty. It did pop the headlight globes but the parkers and the high beam were alright. Can I drive it to the workshop ?????

PRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s utility,and a KENWORTH
G'day again
Depending on how far you need to drive the car,if its only a short distance you could turn on the h/lights,ac ect to load up the alt, and go as slow as you can so as not to drive the alt to fast,just thinking about it it might only be something as simple as the sense wire being open circuit,this senses the battery voltage and tells the alt how much to charge,no volts at the "S" terminal tells the alt give her heaps,had a 24 v truck with a similar fault and it had 178 volts at the alt.:rip:
I had a young bloke in a magna who's mechanic said dont worry bout the alt light flashing,HMMMMMMMM he burnt a hole through the computer (literaly), fried the instrument cluster,cruise control,radio and the climate control.
So in other words be real careful, you could unhook the alt wiring and drive it to an auto elec,i'm not sure but it should'nt affect it,just make sure you insulate the cables well,even if it buggers the alt/reg its better than the computer.