Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gas conversion

cart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
I have done a search and read on various discussions about gas on the VY,the shop down the road said he could fit and Impco system for $3200.00
this includes a new set of springs(heavier) for the back to compensate for the weight gain,he also states that it wont change the way my car rides with the new springs.

Advantage for me being in a small rural town is that the shop is within stones throw distants and he being local as well u get to catch up with him anytime and as he is the only one here so he can not afford to stuff people about if u get me.

Does that sound like a fair price,car will be in the shop for two days.

Thats all I want to know about the price.

Ty kindly:thumbsup:

rokkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII
The average price around town for the Tartarini and Remano Injected Conversion is between $3700-$3900 this includes a 95lt tank (holds 75lt)
to suit VY V6

Both these appear to be the conversions to get, uncle has the ($3700)(Rowville Vic) Remano in VY calias and hasn't missed a beat, drove it to shepp from melbourne the other day, and couldn't notice the petrol to lpg.

Mate has the tartarini system in his BA ($3800)Doncaster Vic and has performed great however he stalls when the fuel change from petrol to gas while reversing from the driveway. Installer says this is normal.

I'm about to take the plunge , however still deciding what system and what installer, as there appears to be up to $500 difference between some installers , installing the same Tartarini system with the same components to the same spec. Maybe over quoting while busy and if job received a new years bonus!

All have quoted 2 days to complete and no dyno required as program is completed via laptop with the use of existing maps suit to particular models.

cheers

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Mate has the tartarini system in his BA ($3800)Doncaster Vic and has performed great however he stalls when the fuel change from petrol to gas while reversing from the driveway. Installer says this is normal.

This is not normal AT ALL, especially for an injected system. I'd suggest that your friend take the car back to his installer and demand a retune.

Regards,
Dave

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Does that sound like a fair price,car will be in the shop for two days.

For a VY, I would be paying a little more for an injected system - about $4500 in WA.

Regards,
Dave

djherny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina 3.8L
I'm considering getting my VY II Berlina V6 converted to LPG.

I was considering an Impco system, because it would integrate with the current dash and ECU.

However after doing a bit of reading i'm confused, what is recommended for a VY V6? Everyone seems to opt for the gas injection setup, why is a gas injection setup superior to the factory Impco system?

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Everyone seems to opt for the gas injection setup, why is a gas injection setup superior to the factory Impco system?

Gas injection systems are generally much more refined when compared to traditional "mixer" setups.

Gas injection systems can't backfire because the injectors are mounted adjacent to the petrol injectors, which means that the upper intake manifold is completely free of fuel. An Impco system delivers gas at the throttle body like a carburettor, therefore ignition system and air/fuel mixture problems will lead to potentially damaging backfires.

The gas injection setup also integrates better with modern engines fitted with sequential injection. The gas computer can mimick the petrol injection sequence set by the manufacturer and therefore performance will remain unchanged while running on gas. Fuel changeover is also unnoticeable and all features that are available when the car is running on petrol (e.g. traction control, if fitted) will be available on gas.

As well as all that, a well-tuned gas injection system will return fuel consumption figures very close to petrol consumption figures.

Regards,
Dave

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
all the ^ is good except the last sentence, there is no independent evidence anywhere to confirm that injected lpg systems get fuel consumption close to petrol.

The only evidence atm, says that there is no improvement in this area from mixer systems to svi. The VE comm fact impco svi system still burns ~30% more lpg than when running petrol, according to the official Australian fuel consumption test figures which are done the same way every time.......exactly as what has been tested with all the holden fact impco mixer systems including the VY.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
The only evidence atm, says that there is no improvement in this area from mixer systems to svi. The VE comm fact impco svi system still burns ~30% more lpg than when running petrol, according to the official Australian fuel consumption test figures which are done the same way every time.......exactly as what has been tested with all the holden fact impco mixer systems including the VY.

What gives you the authority to think that you're always be right? You have stated all along that you do not own a car fitted with a SVI LPG conversion whereas I do, and have done so for quite a few months now. If *YOU* do not have the experience to back up your claims/statements then please do not comment, as the things you have said in the past have been extremely misleading to other forum members.

Regards,
Dave

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Please quote something that i have posted that is wrong or misleading. I dont post rubbish or anything that can't be backed up. True, Ive made quite a few posts that challenge some of the information that you have come up with. You are the one quoting information that has not been backed up by any reliable or independent source. Im backing my information up with the Australian Government fuel testing standards. I achieve exactly the numbers they quote for the Vx for the highway cycle on petrol and lpg(fairly easy to replicate what they do here) and achieve better than their city cycle on both lpg and petrol, so please dont waffle on about how they arent real figures and that in real traffic mixers use much more etc(we are talking about the factory systems) Ive no doubt they were able to perform the same tests on the svi equipped VE comm equally well. If you'd like to tell us how the government testers got it wrong, go ahead.
Feel free to tell everyone how in your vehicle, which defies the laws of conservation of energy, that it is able to strange more energy out of the lpg than is actually available.
Otherwise dont make ridiculous claims that svi injection is going to make a significant reduction in lpg use over mixer systems across the board, people can believe you or not, Im going with the Aus tests and the Holden engineers thanks.

Last edited:

poweredbycng

Reaction score
I dont post rubbish or anything that can't be backed up.

[OFF TOPIC]

Well please explain this. In a previous thread, why did you post figures relating to the payback time of an 'upgrade' (mixer to SVI - vehicle already converted) when people want to find out the payback period difference between a new SVI versus a new mixer installation (petrol to dual fuel)? Your figures are very misleading because it would be almost impossible to recouperate the cost of the 'upgrade' in the life of the vehicle. On the other hand, the difference in time needed to recouperate the cost of a new SVI installation vs. a traditional LPG system is less than two years.

Who in their right mind would want to convert their already converted car from mixer to SVI anyway???

[/OFF TOPIC]

True, Ive made quite a few posts that challenge some of the information that you have come up with. You are the one quoting information that has not been backed up by any reliable or independent source. Im backing my information up with the Australian Government fuel testing standards.

If people want to hear about other peoples' experiences before making a decision, they are highly unlikely to consult any sort of Government test results. I mean, do you seriously believe that EVERY document the Government releases is unbiased and and reliable? I don't think so!

...so please dont waffle on about how they arent real figures and that in real traffic mixers use much more etc(we are talking about the factory systems) Ive no doubt they were able to perform the same tests on the svi equipped VE comm equally well. If you'd like to tell us how the government testers got it wrong, go ahead.

With the wrong tune and/or bad maintenance, anything can/will use more fuel. I could quite easily ask my gas installer to tune my system aggressively so that the thing goes through the same amount of gas as a VE Commodore with the "factory" IMPCO-BRC Sequent system but would we want to? No way, not considering the rediculous increases in gas prices. I'm happy with my 550km+ per 70L of LPG thank you very much.

Feel free to tell everyone how in your vehicle, which defies the laws of conservation of energy, that it is able to strange more energy out of the lpg than is actually available.

Feel free to tell everyone your rediculous claim that a sequential injection gas kit can't be more efficient than a traditional kit. Quite honestly, I am trying to help others make their decision based on my experiences. If all you want to do is ridicule my contributions then maybe you should have a serious think about whether you really belong on these (and other) DISCUSSION forums.

Regards,
Dave