Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hole in driver seat upholstery

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Had my car in for a service today. When I went to pick it up I was very upset to find a hole in the upholstery on the right hand side of the drivers seat. Looked a bit like someone had stuck a screw driver through it. Holden say that the foam in my seat has collapsed and that a part of the seat base has been rubbing the fabric and caused it to rip. After examining the seat I can see how this could have happened however it's really frustrating that they managed to actually make it rip when I have been driving around in the car for over a year with no problems. Someone must have jumped into the car really fast or knelled on the side of the seat :bang:

Apparently it is a common problem, has anyone else had this problem?

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
im about to buy a SV8 and it suffers from the same disease. i wonder what it would cost to fix.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
got a pic of the damage?

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
every car has this problem after a while. call an auto trimmer and they will hook you up with a fix it. i should say that the entire seat trim WILL NOT have to be replaced as they can just re-sew it underneath saying you some coin. I would say 100+ to fix it

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Here is a pic, probably too bad at this stage to get sewn up I reckon.

The seat surround(the plastic with the electric seat switch) has also snapped off as a result of the same problem, I was given a rough quote by holden of $400-500+labour to replace the seat surround, upholstery and trim.

Paddy

Attachments

• DSCF1542.JPG
    DSCF1542.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 1,003

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
spaddyj

From your picture, it's pretty obvious that the seat base has sagged. The side bolster on the seat base is showing typical signs of the foam below the upholstery collapsing = pretty typical for all Commode seats after a fair bit of use. It wouldn't be much use just having the upholstery repaired = you really need to have the seat base foam rebuilt too. This is still a simple job and you can save a few bucks by removing the seat and dismantling it, and just taking the seat base to the upholsterer. They can rebuild the foam and repair the worn cloth and its a simple matter of re-assembling the seat yourself.

With regards to the plastic side trim,they can be purchased for around $60 new. I have recently fitted the passenger seat with electric tilt and lift and had to replace the plastic trim with one designed to accommodate the switch. Pity it's the wrong side - it's like new.

Regards

pj

Last edited:

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
I have recently fitted the passenger seat with electric tilt and lift and had to replace the plastic trim with one designed to accommodate the switch.

Was this easy to do, and how much did it set you back? Thanks.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Adamc11

It was extremely tedious. I bought a well used VT drivers seat for the motors and lift mechanism, but when I removed the VY passenger seat, I found that the design of the seat bases had changed a lot since the VT. I had to:

1. swap over the rear mounting brackets,
2. remove and reshape the metal bracket holding the wiring clips to the rails, 3. swap that bracket over to the opposite side,
4. remove the seat belt mounting bracket from the VT seat and replace it with the VY one, which had to be slightly modified to fit the VT rails,
5. make up a wiring loom to cross over the floor from the drivers seat connection.
6. swap the wiring connections on the motors so that the drivers side operating switch would operate the motors in the proper direction
7. modify the mounting arms so that they were mounted further towards the centre of the seat, to align with the VY mounting holes
8. make up mounting plates to adapt the VT arms to the VY seat base.
9. fit a new left hand seat side trim, to accommodate the switch. This is an HSV part, as Holden never offered the four way power seat on the VY, but HSW did.
10. purchase a black switch button as the VT trim was grey.
Probably a few other things I've forgotten. The bottom line is it was too much trouble and would have been a lot simpler to have adapted a VY drivers seat base. I figured the old VT seat would be cheap (it was - $50) and a VY seat would be too expensive. I also figured the power seat mechanism would be too expensive to purchase new.

Total cost was around $150, total time around ten hours.

At least it looks like a factory installation and the other half is happy. (happy wife - priceless!)

Regards

pj