Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Test drive results {VY Exec}

Tammy

Reaction score
Website
tammytempleton.wordpress.com
Members Ride
TK Barina
Hi guys,
I took a 08/2003 VY for a test drive today {102,000kms for $12,850} it was at a Holdens used car center.
When the car was started I stood at the back and checked for smoke. It had a quick puff that looked more like vapour than smoke but hubby said he smelt petrol? It was only a puff though and was gone after a few seconds. Is this something I should be concerned with do you think?
It also had brake shudder but the salesman assured me that this would be fixed {they actually drove it straight into the workshop as we were leaving} its last service was at 93,000kms. It did have a few minor scratches and a couple of rather small dents that can probably be buffed off. It has a factory tow bar {which is the straight one} Should I ask for the previous owners number to find out what they have been towing with it?
It didn't have cruise control which we would like. Is it possible to fit cruise control later? Is that hard to do or expensive?
Carsguide - Vehicle details (dealer used)

We also went back to the dealer with the VZ. It was still there. 139,000kms for $11,990. Hubby took it for a drive and it made a rattling sound that I could hear up the street for longer than I would have liked. :bang:

I really appreciate your input guys

stoged

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hi,
I just bought my 03 VY executive four days ago from a used holden dealership. Now the kms are fairly high sitting at 170,000 but with full service history nothing breaking the 6000km mark. The body is imaculate, no scratches, dings, rips, worn marks in the interior or anything, and no noise or funny smells coming from anywhere.

Now 4 days isn't enough time to safely say it was an excelent deal because im sure im bound to find something wrong sooner or later. But i got mine for 8,990.

I think you could find a better deal.

Tammy

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
TK Barina
Where the heck are you guys getting these cars from :bang:
We've looked and looked...auctions, private, car yards and they are all around the same prices?? :cry:

Are you guys interstate? I'm in South Oz

scottifa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
You can try Pickles Auctions. Not all their cars are auctioned off, some are simply for sale. I got my 03 series II acclaim with 113000kms for $12400. An excellent buy. A dealership prolly would have spent a few hundred dollars fixing minor scratches and sold it for around $14000 so it was really good value. Find out where the nearest pickles is and go have a look.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Vy..

Hi, I bought Mine 2 years ago, 80,000k's, full service history from new, 1 owner, $12000.....

All I can say, is with 120,000 on the clock now, it has been a great car!!
Not one problem with it!! Not even a flat tyre...lol..

i tow my boat with mine, Done plenty of long trips in it, and it has never missed a beat, My brakes are shuddering, this is just warped disc's...Very standard!!, A quick Machining, and they are sweet again!!

VY is a great Car In My Opinion..........:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tammy

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
TK Barina
haahaa Thanks. Here I was starting to think that $12,000 was too much. Sounds like its just the right price.
Chrisso, sounds like you got an awesome car ;)

and yeah, we've been looking at Pickles car auctions online. Heaps of VX's VY's and VZ's.
Does anyone know do you get any warranties with Pickles?

mmrdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 series 3 Monaro & VF V8 Calais V Wagon
I thought auction cars dont have any warranty (unless its the balance of the new car warranty). By the way, the VY should have cruise as standard equipment!

Flat_White

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rolls Royce "Fantom"
I thought auction cars dont have any warranty (unless its the balance of the new car warranty). By the way, the VY should have cruise as standard equipment!

you get warranty as long as the car is not over 10years old or has done more than 150,000m's

mmrdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 series 3 Monaro & VF V8 Calais V Wagon
But does the warranty apply if you buy the car at an auction?